0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
April 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

About to buy a digital board and snake.

IvanJones

Hey guys this is my first time around these forums and i have a great icebreaker here for us. I have just landed a gig doing FOH for a moderately drawing touring band. I have done about 6 shows for them thus far and have been beleaguered by a host of things from venue to venue from snakes with broken/missing channels feeding other snakes with wires that are crossed to the second show in a newly built room without the guy who built it. Needless to say i am looking to purchase a rig to eliminate some of those variables. The input count is about 21 and I will be doing about 180-200 shows a year.
With that said i have been researching some options and have come to some ideas as to what i think i will do but i want to get the opinion of some others based on what i require which is: the rig must be able to have a digital snake on stage sending to personal in ear mixers (such as avioms) as well as an interface to take a multitrack recording of the show on my DAW of choice.
Based on my previous experience with Yamaha, Soundcraft, PreSonus, Behringer, Mackie, and Avid digital consoles; I like the workflow of the Soundcraft boards the most, and they also deliver the most bang for the buck in the budget I am working with which is $10,000. I am most considering the Soundcraft Performer 1 with the 32 channel digi snake and either a dante or madi multitracker and either the dbx or aviom personal mixers.
What do you guys think?
February 3, 2014 @10:25am
TimmyP1955

X32 family, A&H, or Soundcraft.
February 12, 2014 @04:24am
pauperpa

I've been very pleased with my Behringer X32 and S16 digital snake. I looked hard at the Presonus SL 24 (32 wasn't out yet) and the Soundcraft Si Expression before going with the X32. The behringer just had more features and although many folks consider the X32 hard to navigate I found it simple and straight forward. I worked with it for about a week before using it live, and by the end of the week I could route and configure anything on the fly. The sound quality has been fantastic. I've not regretted the decision at all. The S16 digital snake box works perfectly too. It saves so much time and energy. As a side note, I often have to set up on the side of a stage and use the Qmix on an iPad to mix out front. If you can do it on the console, you can do it on the iPad. It works flawlessly.
That being said, the Midas M32 just appeared on the scene. It looks like an upgraded X32. Configuration and features look nearly identical. If I read the adds correctly it appears to incorporate VST plugin style effects. If this is the case it will be very cool. It appears to integrate with the S16 digital snakes and monitor control systems by Behringer, or a Midas labeled version. It may be worth holding out a little while until these are actually available to test. They should be in your $10k price range, console and snake boxes combined.
February 12, 2014 @11:37pm
Landon

X32 package If you can afford the Midas M32 package, that would be better yet.
February 13, 2014 @05:58am