0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mac Mini (late 2013) for audio production? does it have enough power?

brianbfw

Good Evening Forum,
My question is just as the title. I have a Mac Mini, late 2013 model. Would this machine be good enough for audio production? any experiences from users out there currently using mac mini's?
I currently have an old 2007 Mac Pro tower. It has worked flawlessly for 7 years now and it is beyond time to upgrade. I was going to upgrade past summer, but decided to wait until the Mac Pro will arrive.
Unfortunately, my UAD-2 quad card is NOT compatible with the new mac pros.
I also have a mac mini (2013) model. I'm considering using it for my new audio machine, and save a lot of cash $$$.
I have concerns that the machine can only be upgraded to 16GB of memory.
My sessions typical have 30 - 40 tracks, mixture of live audio and software instruments.
Is anyone out there using a Mac mini for their main music machine?
Specwise, my mac mini is much faster than my 7 year old tower.
Thanks in advance,
Brian
January 29, 2014 @12:23am
Joe Muscara

I think a Mac like that is plenty for most. Look at all the MacBooks that get used for the same thing. A Mac mini is pretty much a MacBook without the screen and keyboard.
Check this out for example.
http://www.keyboardmag.com/Default.aspx?tabid=130&EntryId=331
January 29, 2014 @01:42pm
Justin

If you use a Mac mini you will want to add an external hard drive...the internal drives aren't very fast and you don't want them having to handle the OS / DAW software and recording duty. Use USB3 or Thunderbolt to add a 7200RPM HDD to the system and you should be able to get decent performance out of it.
January 31, 2014 @04:23pm
gdoubleyou

If you have the quad i7 Mini, when using Logic it has about the same CPU power as an Early 2008 MP 8-core.
Best bang for the Mac buck.
February 28, 2014 @01:15am
maggie90

You could do some simple things to improve performence like adding ram, and a ssd.. Check out mkbhd on youtube he made his macmini reach benchmarks of an loaded out latest version Imac and its not that hard to do
April 10, 2014 @12:59am