0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sampler or DAW?

TN Caver

Hi, everyone. I'd like your opinion.
While I do occasionally want to be able to record and play back multitrack songs, and export to WAV or MP3, I'm mostly interested in performing (for myself at home, I'm no longer a pro musician), and therefore want a large range of good quality instruments--pianos, B3, pads, synths, mellotron, etc. So I'm looking at Kontakt, and/or Reaktor, and they look appealing for the performance end.
Does Kontakt (or a NI add-on) record and play back tracks like a DAW? Or would I be better off to find a DAW with a performance mode, (Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic Pro, etc) and a good selection of instruments and/or one that can use third-party instruments in VST (or AU) format? If so, what's the best DAW to fit the bill? I prefer Windows, but I'm not above buying a crApple if Logic Pro is the best choice. :p
January 4, 2014 @03:34am
TimOBrien

Kontakt does not record.
Try Reaper. It is cross-platform, very advanced and only $60 for a full license.
The user community is fantastic and more features are rapidly added all the time.
Kontakt and other samplers work great in it.
Another bonus: the demo is the fully functioning program with all features enabled. They trust you to license.
January 4, 2014 @07:59pm
TN Caver

Thanks, Tim. I'll check it out.
January 5, 2014 @02:57am
producerspot

Sampler without DAW is hardly possible.
March 14, 2014 @05:53am
jblongz

Ableton Suite is expensive but comes great sounds for it's Sampler device (such as the piano, guitar, and orchestra) and comes with other devices for synth.
FL Studio is a flavor many Windows users like, which has a LOT of synth sounds and different Sampler devices.
BitWig is new, which much to be added, but works on Windows, Mac, Linux, and will offer a growing library of sounds. Try the demo!
March 28, 2014 @04:01pm
maggie90

I would just try both.. I know your not posed to pirate but I od to try it out then I just end up buying the legit versions down the line sad but true.. Hope this helps
April 12, 2014 @06:24am