rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Electric shock from mics - Not involving guitar!!

kbthedrummer

I have seen many threads on the electric shocks from microphones issue, but i have a different issue. When my mixing board is off, i am getting shocked from my microphones. Turn it on and the shocks go away!
Now, it's not a big deal as i'm not getting shocked when using the equipment, but i'd still like to know what is going on!
December 9, 2013 @04:15pm
jfinnigan

I have seen many threads on the electric shocks from microphones issue, but i have a different issue. When my mixing board is off, i am getting shocked from my microphones. Turn it on and the shocks go away!
Now, it's not a big deal as i'm not getting shocked when using the equipment, but i'd still like to know what is going on!

Do you have some equipment on different circuits? if so use a circuit tester on the outlets - if they are one circuit is wires properly and the other is reversed (hot & Neutral) it can cause this. Re Wiring the circuits would be the best fix if that is the case - but if it's not your space a good power filter/conditioner would help.
December 9, 2013 @04:29pm
kbthedrummer

Do you have some equipment on different circuits? if so use a circuit tester on the outlets - if they are one circuit is wires properly and the other is reversed (hot & Neutral) it can cause this. Re Wiring the circuits would be the best fix if that is the case - but if it's not your space a good power filter/conditioner would help.

All on one circuit currently. Could it be the mixer itself?
December 9, 2013 @07:00pm
jfinnigan

All on one circuit currently. Could it be the mixer itself?

Possibly, I'd try messing with having phantom power on/off and see what happens.
December 9, 2013 @09:03pm
TimmyP1955

Get a multimeter and:
Check that the outlet is wired correctly.
Check that there is continuity between pin1 of the mic cable and the ground pin of the mixer's power cord.
January 2, 2014 @04:01am