0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Bass Cabinets: Mesa vs. Orange

Schism46

I am looking to create a 2x15 rig with two cabinets and I've come down between getting the Orange OBC115 and a Mesa Powerhouse 1x15. Tone wise I really like Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Black Sabbath from the new 13 album, Ghost and Karnivool. The best I can describe what I am after is something dark, deep, and it hits your whole body. I want it to punch through the mix without being harsh. I'm going to be using a Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II. Any thoughts as to which might be the better cab for what I'm going for? Differences between them?
November 17, 2013 @04:01pm
Funkiest Relic

well the biggest difference will be that the boogie speakers include a high freq driver as well as the 15" speaker. A 15" all by itself will have a tendency to get "lost" in the mix. You'll have 100% low end... IMO, a 15" alone will move a bunch of air and you'll feel it, but you'll lose articulation and "cut".
If I was buying JUST a 1x15, I'd look at the Boogie due to the included horn. If I was teaming the 15" with something else (2x10, 2x12, etc), then the orange is a great option too... The other thing to look at is wattage. The boogie is rated at 300w (depending on the version your looking at). The Orange is 400w.
Also, the boogie comes with casters (if that's something you need)...
You may want to look at Boogie Powerhouse 1200 bass cab. It is loaded with 1x15 and 4x10's. It's got punch and will give you the low end rumble.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PHCab1200
November 18, 2013 @10:19pm
TimmyP1955

The only cabs I like that have HF drivers are a couple of 3-ways I've heard (AcmeBass and I forget what). However: Some cabinets run the woofer(s) full range, allowing the horn to be turned off, thankfully removing the click and clank that does nothing but cover up valuable elements of the mic. Others roll off the top of the woofer, so with the horn off the sound is very dull.
August 4, 2015 @06:45am