0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Main faders, channel faders, and power amps.

.Selah.

Hi. I run sound in a small religious venue, and we're learning slowly the correct ins and outs of live sound. We can make a good mix, but as for proper leveling, we're a bit short as to know how. We typically have our amps set to the point where we have a soft hum in the mains when the main faders are up around - 10, or half way up. I figured that can't be good, so I was looking around online and found someone saying channel faders should not be set above main faders unless otherwise specified in the mixer's manufacturer manual. Our highest fader is generally up around -5 to 0, so I lowered the power amps to where I have the mains up to around -3, and all channel faders significantly lowered to equal about the same room volume as before. It sounds good, a little more natural. Is this a better configuration? I figure this is generic, not equipment specific, but I can provide specs if needed, thanks.
Jonathan
October 29, 2013 @11:05pm