0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Driverack vs equalizer

keyboard girl

We are putting together a new system and are wondering....If you are using a DBX driverack do you have to have a separate DBX equalizer component?
September 26, 2013 @07:16pm
hfc7713

Have to? ..no - but I think it would be a good idea. I use the Driverack myself but I prefer to use separate GEQ and PEQ to be able to quickly adjust any frequencies 'on the fly' - especially if there is any monitor feedback. Also, I mix remotely so the driverack is with the amps on stage and I have my EQ's with me at the desk.
Both GEQ and PEQ are built into the Driverack and work well but I choose this method for convenience.
Any brand will work - not just DBX.
October 4, 2013 @02:47pm
TimmyP1955

Once you are used to how the DriveRack operates, there should be little to no advantage to using an outboard EQ.
October 24, 2013 @09:29am
PRSWILL

Agreed- I have owed the Drive rack for a few years and used in in outdoor, indoor small clubs, large clubs and the studio and when you get it dialed in, there are no feedback issues and the quality of sound is excellent. there's a lot to learn with this toy- but it's worth putting the time into and figuring it out.
November 10, 2013 @12:25am
hfc7713

I have the DRPA figured out pretty well but I still see an advantage to using external processing as well. Especially if you have the DRPA in a rack with amps on stage as I do and I cannot get to it quickly enough to make appropriate changes as the night wears on and acoustics may change. Even if I had the DRPA right next to me, there is no way - no matter how well I might know the DRPA- to be able to make split second changes to the EQ like I can on a GEQ with faders. I love my DRPA and consider it very user friendly BUT any piece of digital equipment that requires menu and sub menu access has its disadvantages in a live setting.
November 18, 2013 @02:46pm
Landon

The church I mix for uses a DriveRack 260 and it does the job pretty well; although our X32 console has A LOT of built in features that take care of most of what the DR does.
January 6, 2014 @02:21am