0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Zoom Recorder

Hannah320

I have sent a photo of my set-up.
So I've got the AKG mic connected to the Zoom but because the cable only goes into one of the inputs in the Zoom it is MONO, obviously. Should I turn MONO MIX on to make it STEREO or should I just leave it then just duplicate the MONO track to make it STEREO in edit? Also, there is the option for Phantom Power or Plug-in Power on the Zoom, should I be turning either of them on? They are both off just now.
Any help much appreciated.
September 24, 2013 @08:25pm
robertruetz

It looks like you're using the AKG C1000S condenser, which can either be powered by phantom power or the onboard 9V battery. Just make sure you're using one or the other.
Mic signals are mono, unless you're using a stereo mic. Record in mono, do your final mixdown to stereo if whatever you're creating needs to be in stereo. My question would be, does it really need to be in stereo?
Rob.
September 25, 2013 @12:27pm
Hannah320

It looks like you're using the AKG C1000S condenser, which can either be powered by phantom power or the onboard 9V battery. Just make sure you're using one or the other.
Mic signals are mono, unless you're using a stereo mic. Record in mono, do your final mixdown to stereo if whatever you're creating needs to be in stereo. My question would be, does it really need to be in stereo?
Rob.

Yes that's the exact mic that I am using. Thanks for the reply.I will leave both Phantom Power and Plug-In power set to off.
Do you think it would be worth turning MONO MIX on or should I just leave this until post? Good question about it needing to be stereo - I am not sure but would like to have the option at least.
September 25, 2013 @01:38pm
robertruetz

I'm unfamiliar with how the Zoom records. When you don't use Mono Mix, does it give you a stereo track with only one channel (left or right) of audio? If so, I would assume the Zoom then outputs a stereo track?
Regardless, you can deal with just about anything in post. If it outputs a stereo file and you only fill one channel, you can mix that down to a mono signal in post. Or, turn on Mono Mix and see what happens during recording. I would test both scenarios and see which one works best for your situation.
Rob.
September 25, 2013 @01:47pm
Hannah320

I'm unfamiliar with how the Zoom records. When you don't use Mono Mix, does it give you a stereo track with only one channel (left or right) of audio? If so, I would assume the Zoom then outputs a stereo track?
Regardless, you can deal with just about anything in post. If it outputs a stereo file and you only fill one channel, you can mix that down to a mono signal in post. Or, turn on Mono Mix and see what happens during recording. I would test both scenarios and see which one works best for your situation.
Rob.

Thanks so much for your advice!
September 25, 2013 @02:40pm