rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

i cant beleive i cant find a way to do this ???

cblzaccie

so I am wanting to take all the audio outputs from a computer running my video mixer over to a digital mixer on another computer. About 12 channels of audio
So the best solution i can find is to take a sound card interface, for example, a firewire one, so im taking the audio, converting it to firewire, out to a card like the m-audio pro that converts it to optical, sends it over a fiber cable to another identical card that converts it BACK to firewire then BACK into audio ..
seems i lot of needless steps.
why isnt there just a firewire to firewire or ethernet or USB to usb software solution which would cut out like 4 steps
am i missing something here?
August 19, 2013 @02:40am
bobbymars

morning . . the set up as described seems confusing . . . does computer no. 1 use an interface with multiple outs . . is the digital mixer an essential element ? (does the digital mixer serve as the interface to computer no. 2) finally, for what reason do you need to transfer to second computer . . . help us understand . . . .bobby
August 19, 2013 @01:37pm
JamesPalermo

so I am wanting to take all the audio outputs from a computer running my video mixer over to a digital mixer on another computer. About 12 channels of audio
So the best solution i can find is to take a sound card interface, for example, a firewire one, so im taking the audio, converting it to firewire, out to a card like the m-audio pro that converts it to optical, sends it over a fiber cable to another identical card that converts it BACK to firewire then BACK into audio ..
seems i lot of needless steps.
why isnt there just a firewire to firewire or ethernet or USB to usb software solution which would cut out like 4 steps
am i missing something here?

You can send audio over ethernet, but it is currently a professional level hardware-centric ordeal and ignoring the price, it'd be even more complex of a setup than what you have now.
Think about an I/O device as integral to any kind of PC/Mac based DAW, and then you only see two steps: Output from video mixer machine --> Input to digital mixing machine. Your setup sounds totally reasonable.
Digital audio never degrades. It doesn't care if it is sent over optical to a converter that shoots it out in SPIDF over coax, then saved on a USB stick and FedEx'd to the actual mixing station's location.
Unless you are more specific about what you're doing and with what gear, nobody will be able to help you streamline your hardware setup.
February 4, 2014 @11:13am