rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Newb HELP!!!

YayBeer

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of reading and have most things figured out impedence, watts, amps, passive, active, bridge, parallel, mixers yada yada yada.
The one thing I have not been able to find out, or get an answer on, is... Is it possible to bypass the integrated amp on a power mixer and use power amps intead?
I have two crown xls 1500, and am going to purchase a package that includes speakers and a powered mixer amongst other things. The reason being is that it's cheaper to get cables mics and stands in a package, but most of these packages don't come with unpowered mixers.
So... am I able to run a signal through the power amps from the powered mixer? Or will this damage the amps? Thanks a bunch!
August 9, 2013 @03:00am
hfc7713

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of reading and have most things figured out impedence, watts, amps, passive, active, bridge, parallel, mixers yada yada yada.
The one thing I have not been able to find out, or get an answer on, is... Is it possible to bypass the integrated amp on a power mixer and use power amps intead?
I have two crown xls 1500, and am going to purchase a package that includes speakers and a powered mixer amongst other things. The reason being is that it's cheaper to get cables mics and stands in a package, but most of these packages don't come with unpowered mixers.
So... am I able to run a signal through the power amps from the powered mixer? Or will this damage the amps? Thanks a bunch!

Most solid state amps these days are fine with no speakers attached. Also, most modern mixer amps have a routing option to bypass the internal amp. It might say 'mixer out' or 'main out'. It's usually on the front away from the speaker outputs at the back. Make sure to check the manual so you are using the correct outputs!!
September 11, 2013 @08:07pm
GZsound

Most solid state amps these days are fine with no speakers attached. Also, most modern mixer amps have a routing option to bypass the internal amp. It might say 'mixer out' or 'main out'. It's usually on the front away from the speaker outputs at the back. Make sure to check the manual so you are using the correct outputs!!

This is correct. I have seen a powered mixer used as a substitute mixer when the main mixer let the smoke out. The guy quickly patched the "main" out on the front panel, plugged in eight mics and kept working. The mixer ran for five hours without any speakers connected and worked just fine.
September 16, 2013 @05:24am