0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best DAW for Recording

J104

Hi,
My venue us looking to upgrade to digital mixing and computer recording from analog mixing and hard disc recording. I have a basic knowledge of how DAWs work, but not allot about the individual programs on the market. Logic, Pro Tools, Digital Performer, Reason, Ablelton Live... I don't know much how to choose between them. Here's what we need: we're a small church that needs to be able to record live, and -to an extent- the simpler the better. I know these programs are all capable, but can you give some direction as to what the programs lend themselves to?
Thanks.
August 3, 2013 @03:54pm
Joe Muscara

*If* you already have a Mac, you could try using GarageBand first as any relatively recent Mac will have it. It might do all that you need as it can do quite a bit, yet it's designed to be simple and easy to use.
Here are some other questions that will help people to provide answers.
How many tracks do you plan to record at once?
Do you have any idea what you want to use as an audio interface to get the audio into the computer?
Do you plan to or have any desire to do anything besides audio, such as MIDI, software instruments, loops, or effects?
Will the recordings be all live or will there be overdubbing?
August 4, 2013 @01:02pm
TimOBrien

Try out Reaper (works for mac and windows - I use it on both platforms)
Cheap, powerful and you can try out the fully working demo with no restrictions.
Great program, great user community.
August 4, 2013 @03:06pm
JoeS

PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2
Check this out - digital mixer AND DAW software.....this is the "small" configuration (up to 32 mic press on other models in the line)....
This is where I would personally go, if and when I ever need to.
Regards,
Joe
August 5, 2013 @07:57pm
channelite

I have to recommend Ableton Live since that's what I use. I used to use Pro Tools 7, and I'm sure the newest version is probably awesome. Ableton Live just seems to be the easiest (once you learn it). Plus Live has the whole, play the computer like an instrument thing, aka Session View, which is awesome.
August 13, 2013 @11:51pm
maggie90

Protools is my choice !
April 12, 2014 @06:28am
Gigmeister

I used Garage Band for years and then migrated to Logic Pro 8. I got decent at it but was frustrated with inconsistent volumes on mix down and the drum sounds. I got an M Box3 with Pro Tools Xpress and really love it.
August 11, 2014 @04:28am