0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Portable recording device / USB mic

mynameisoliver

Hello! First post, please forgive my transgressions...
I'm looking for a portable recording device that can also be used as a USB mic... (I'm tempted to assume that pretty much all portable recording devices (at least, the digital ones) perform this dual function?)
I primarily want to use it to record stuff (in my room) for electronic music production- this might range from little quiet percussive sounds to longer instrumental stuff. I also want to be able to use it for okay-quality recordings of band practices and stuff like that.
I'm sure there's a lot of products out there that meet these criteria but I'm not sure where to start! I know a bit about digital audio signal processing but nothing about the hardware. Also I'm a student so price is a big factor. Can anyone recommend something cheap (like under or around $100) and not so shabby?
Thanks!
August 2, 2013 @08:58pm
JoeS

Mackie Onyx Blackjack - I would recommend highly....
Works very well, clean transparent sound from the mic-pres (2 of them). A little above your price point, and you would need at least one microphone or plug your guitar/instrument in direct....
But it is worth it, if only because of the ability to do "0 latency" monitoring as you are recording a track (or tracks).
Good hunting
Joe
August 5, 2013 @07:48pm
JoeS

Mackie Onyx Blackjack - is worth a serious look. Though a bit above your price point.
You will need a mic or two - but it also has DI inputs for instruments.
The mic-pre's are clean and transparent for the most part.....not bad for the money for sure.
and best of all "0 latency monitoring" - very good for creative flow in my opinion, and worth the extra $
Joe
August 6, 2013 @06:21pm