0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recording a second track while listening to the first

Gerry

I think this is a pretty basic question, but I'm a rank beginner at this. Here's my setup: a Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro 12 channel mixer, an iMac with GarageBand, a midi keyboard, Shure mic and acoustic guitar with pickup. (though still learning the mixer and GB). I also have Audacity and Adobe SoundBooth.
I'd like to be able to record a second track while listening to the first track, like laying down the guitar track then singing while listening to the guitar track on headphones.
How to do with this setup? Thanks for any suggestions!
July 30, 2013 @07:01pm
robertruetz

How does the audio get from your Mackie into the computer? Are you running audio back into the Mackie from the Mac somehow?
You need a multi-track DAW like Garage Band. Set up two tracks: One for playback and another for recording. There should be numerous online resources for doing this specifically in GB. Put the audio you want to monitor on the playback track and record on the recording track.
Rob
July 30, 2013 @08:25pm
Gerry

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply! I plug the guitar into the mixer, then the mixer into the mac. I did start taking some GB classes at the Apple Store but I don't know it nearly well enough. Your response provides a few tips and I'll track down more GB specifics online.
July 30, 2013 @08:30pm
JoeS

You also would have to route the track you want to playback (the 1st track you recorded I would assume) out on a separate track in to your monitor setup (headphones, etc).
That is separate from the new track you want to overdub.
August 2, 2013 @01:35am