rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Looking for a decent workstation

kylejb

I just moved to an apartment, and because of this I've had to leave my piano back at my parents home. Now I'm going to be investing in a decent workstation next month when I have money. I have a decent amount of experience on the Yamaha S90ES so currently I'm looking into finding a used once since it's been able to fulfill just about everything I've wanted it to do beyond playing a standard voice (layering patches and editing just about anything for each specific voice in the patch). I also love how there are hundreds of great voices to choose from.
I just wanted to ask what other options might be on the market for me to choose, since I'm really not familiar with the digital world of keyboarding and all the options out there. My only real requirements are 88 weighted keys, and the ability to record (firewire, usb, or midi). My budget is going to be about $1,200, but I can go as high as $1,400 if there is a good reason to. I'm definitely not against buying used either if it allows me to get a higher end model for cheaper.
July 5, 2013 @05:12am
Synthologist

This forum is rather quiet--I doubt you will receive much input. Try posting over at the Keyboard Magazine forum:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/18/page/1
July 5, 2013 @02:49pm
Synthologist

I tried posting two other times, giving you a link to another forum that would be more helpful. Neither of those posts showed up!
Here's a link to the Keyboard forum:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/18/page/1
July 5, 2013 @06:31pm
Synthologist

I wonder if people ever return to check responses.
:)
July 11, 2013 @04:43pm
bobbymars

synthologist don't be discouraged about responses . There are hundreds of more interested musicians in this forum who read your very helpful advise . I have to wonder if kylejb has taken the time to research keyboards at this website , his mind appears to be made up . Also , the parameters he has defined also disqualifiies a large percentage of options . Keep in mind the many professionals who, like yourself enjoy pointing young musicians in the right direction. . . It is these individuals who applaud your efforts . . . Nothing worse than an impulsive purchase that one regrets. As we hear time and time again . . . one needs a little hands on time with these instruments to make a smart personal choice . Our hope is that a new instrument can broaden the scope of ones musical interests by inspiring one to spend more time experimenting and creating new muscle memories over time. . . . . just a few meandering thoughts . . .. bobby
July 12, 2013 @02:34pm
Synthologist

Thanks, Bobby. It's good to hear some encouragement once in awhile.
:)
July 16, 2013 @07:37pm
maggie90

Dude you really should check out "linustechtips" on youtube and then goto his workstation build it is an absoulte killer.... you could work for pixar with the machine LOL and its not to expensive.. hope this helps
April 10, 2014 @01:11am