0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

XLR with 1/4" Jack Problem

dogrox

On my Tascam units.. FW-1080 and 2488NEO.. i have an issue when i am trying to plug a 1/4" TRS (TSR is irrelevant cause it even does it to the mono 1/4" plug too) cable in to the XLR middle part that accepts the 1/4 plug.. they will NOT go in all the way and keep popping out when i insert them in all the way!.. does anyone know HOW or WHY this is happening?!?! and how can this be fixed?! it is NOT a malfunctioning unit.. as both my Tascam systems do it.. it was like that ever since i got them. I just never had to use those jacks until recently!..This is really being a huge problem :( Why does this do this?!
June 17, 2013 @07:48pm
dogrox

I have to correct myself.. the Tascam FW-1080 has seperate jacks for the 1/4 TRS and the Tascam 2488neo has the Combo jack where i am having the problem with. I thought both units did it.. but i was wrong on the FW-1080. It is all four of the combo jacks on the Tascam 2488neo that does it.. seems like i can never get the cord to stay in no matter what i do. I notice that there is a rubber cover in the middle that you have to push in as you insert the cable,, none of them are ripped.. and are like new.. I like to be able to use the 1/4 inch part of the jack.. I wish i knew what the fix is!!
June 18, 2013 @03:53am
J104

Sounds like it may be a design defect. It could be that those rubber flaps meant to keep out dust just get in the way and don't allow full insertion.
A 1/4" jack 'clicks' into place when a small metal tab shaped like a check mark inside the input is bent out of the way of the Tip, and then pops back into place over the Ring, holding it in place. If it's one piece of metal with individual tabs for each jack, that whole piece may not be installed correctly and so the tabs are pushing the jacks back out instead of clicking them in place. More likely, however, is that the rubber flaps are what don't allow the jack all the way in, resulting in the metal tab pushing them out.
I don't have experience with the 2488neo, but from the product images, and knowing that some "convenient innovations", such as rubber tabs inside a jack input, sometimes just cause trouble, that's my best guess. It may just be that as use occurs, the tabs will loosen and allow proper insertion. Sometimes time wears away problems.
June 18, 2013 @05:05am
dogrox

Hey "J104"...thanx for the input.. I do understand how these things works as i work with electronics.. pretty much on a regular basis.. but i have never seen this problem before...of course i never had to use the MIDDLE part of the combo connection either.. but it is a weired problem. it is all four connecters do the same the same thing.. but i tried all my other high end cables HOSA tSR and other High End cables with 1/4 phone plugs at the ends.. and they ALL do the same thing.. Pop out!!
BUT i found ONE cable a cheap 3 footer cable that actually works and STAYS in there.. it snaps in fine with no problem and doesnt pop out at all!. SO i took my digital caliper and measured the length of that one plug and compared it to ALL the others of high end cables.. and i can see WHY it works... it is JUST A TAD longerfrom the tip of the plug to the actual base of it.. compard to all my other cables. which is why i dont think it is a malfunction with the Tascam recorder.. and i cant use this small 3 foot mono cable for what i need.. i need to use 2 TSR at least 15 footers to go from the GR-55 to those inputs.. of the tascam... and you know how hard it would be to FIND a certain cable that has that extra length in the plug it self ?!?! since you cant really order cables with specific size plugs.. they pretty much all standard... well at least AS i thought anyways! I wrote to tascam hopeing they know what i can do.. this is really depressing me cause i really trying to get back into music..after all these years of not doing anything with it.. and NOW when i am trying to get motivated again.. i CANT DO anything with it.. will see what they say hopefully they will have answers!
June 18, 2013 @09:49am
jpleong

Dumb question (and I know nothing about the 2488 Neo, just going off of pictures)...
Any particular reason you aren't plugging into inputs E/F/G/H? Are they already occupied with other gear?
JP
June 18, 2013 @03:29pm
dogrox

they are already occupied by other gear. and they are only 1/4 connectors.. so there is no issues with them.. JUSt the four combo ones. I cant switch that other gear to the combo ones cause of the cables they dont work either.. like i say i only have one three foot cord that works in them connectors but it is cheap and produces alot of noise!!! SOmeone on another forum said to GRIND all the heavy duty cables to make them work but that would defeat purpose cause they are expensive cables.. and they are METAL and there is no way to grind the base of them ..cause it is flush to the end.. so grinding them would defintaly KILL the cable itself!.. I am at a loss!! :( and i am desperate to get this working so i can use them four extra connectors! :( I am still waiting for tascam to respond! so far no luck!
June 18, 2013 @03:46pm
jpleong

So, when you say they're popping out, do you mean they come completely out or that there's a little bit of the sleeve showing? More importantly, do they pass signal when in the "popped out" position?
JP
June 18, 2013 @06:57pm
dogrox

when i insert the 1/4 " plug into the centre part of the XLR connector through the rubber membrane i push them in as far as they go.. .. they do NOT stay they just keep pushing them selves back out.. the signal breaks up when it does that..usualy i have to hold them in to get the signal to stay there.. ... I cant explain it anyother way :O) I apologize!
When i used the cheap three footer that DOES fit and work.. the signal is there and works fine aside from being a shotty cheap cable and i get alot of noise with it but thats not the issue with that hehe.. it works in ALL four connectors with NO problem! I am still waiting to hear back from Tascam.. man this is unreal :(
June 19, 2013 @04:35am
J104

I can't help you there. That just sounds odd, and as hard as it may be to believe, like TASCAM's design engineers may have made a mistake on the 2488nero's fianl CAD, or however they determine a final design for manufacturing. As far as I know, there should be no variation from one 1/4" to another. I have never heard of longer and shorter 1/4" cable ends, just like you don't hear of bigger or smaller XLR. A 1/4" is a 1/4"; an XLR is an XLR. Industry standards don't have variations within the same product. But I realize that I am a musician and not a manufacturing engineer, so my opinion is only worth somewhat educated guesswork. Hopefully if TASCAM eve gets back to you they can clear it up or you.
In the mean time you might try purchasing more cables of the same brand in hope that they might all have a little extra in length and so hold in place properly.
June 23, 2013 @06:23pm
dogrox

I did finally hear back from tascam.. and they claim hat i am using the wrong JACKS.. yes thats what i said he says i am using wrong jacks.. he claims i am using MONSTAR jacks.. i am like HOW can i the jacks are built stock on the board the unit has never been opened and never been worked on. it is only 2 years old. he said that the connector that tascam uses are NEUTRIK connectors.. which he IS WRONG.
ON he center of the "Connetcors" it says "NEW TIDE" i searched for that on serach and found that they are a chinese or japenese made plug.. and are NOT Neutriks as he claims there are.So fault number one.
Second in response to your saying that you never heard of different sizes of PLUGS .. I totally agree... NEITHER have I....But someione on Homerecording.com sent me a image of 1/4 plugs with thier exact dimentions.
So i measured them AGAIn this time with a printout of the plug measurements from that Image he sent me ... and ALl of the plugs that DO NOT work measure 1.203.8 - 1.204.3 from tip to base as SHOWN in the image. there isnt much descrepency between them measurements to say thats the STANDARD measurement compared to the image. (of course it is hard to get the digital readout to stay steady thats why it was fluctuatiing..but NOT by much to say that it WASNT giving me close to accurate measurement.
BUT now the one that DOES work.. i am getting a reading of 1.232.4 - 1.232.6 from tip to base. far cry longer then the others on ALL my guitar and Balance cables.. What gives?!?!?! I dont know! ..But thats a cheap cable i found in an old pile and it is three foot and really alot of noise.. so there is NO way i will find any of that type plug that are longer then three feet and are BALANCED which i need!.
All my good cables are expensive HOSA, Fender. Etc etc Are heavy duty and have GOLD or.. heavy duty plugs on the ends of them.. Seems kinda defetaing thr purpose that i can NOT use ANY of them.. and have to go to an OLD antique cable thats Noisey as he77 and only three feet.. and NOT balanced
Tascam Screwed up and they know it.. they say i have to send it back for serviceing.. and it WILL COST me alot of moeny to do that.. SCREW that.. since it was a MANUFACTURER defect.. they want ME to pay for getting it fixed?!?!! they are the ones that put in the WRONG Connectors... yet i have to pay them to replace them with the RIGHT ones??!?! They are out of thier minds.. And whos to say that HOW long it will last after they work on it?! I know that when i had stuff worked on before over the many years i played I am 50 years old so i been around the music busiiness and Electornics for quite a few years. when i get stuff back thats been so called "REPAIRED" it never last but 30 days JUST till the WARRENTY of the REPAI R has expired... Tascam is screweing me over on this :(
June 23, 2013 @09:02pm
jpleong

If that's the only problem with the unit, I would just say screw it and get a couple (or four) good-quality direct boxes. They'll be a lot more useful in the long run.
I've worked with Tascam for a long time and, unfortunately, they have an older corporate culture (and one that's based overseas) so getting questions answered can be... time consuming and frustrating.
For the record, although cable sizes (especially 1/4") have been standardized for decades I still find variations with connectors from various manufacturers (some fit tighter or looser). Not that this has any bearing on your problem (no connector should just pop out)...
JP
June 24, 2013 @06:22pm
dogrox

If that's the only problem with the unit, I would just say screw it and get a couple (or four) good-quality direct boxes. They'll be a lot more useful in the long run.
I've worked with Tascam for a long time and, unfortunately, they have an older corporate culture (and one that's based overseas) so getting questions answered can be... time consuming and frustrating.
For the record, although cable sizes (especially 1/4") have been standardized for decades I still find variations with connectors from various manufacturers (some fit tighter or looser). Not that this has any bearing on your problem (no connector should just pop out)...
JP

okay I know this is pretty much an older message now, but I'm still having this problem.JPLeong says to use direct boxes but I've only found direct boxes that have quarter inch output connectors. Which is defeating the purpose because nothing will stay connected to the inside quarter inch portion of the xlr combo jack. If they did then I wouldn't be needing the Di boxes. I'm looking for something to hook to the XLR part of the jack. Does anybody know of other direct boxes that will work for my situation?
April 29, 2014 @07:38am