0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Remove Unwanted Voiceover

luciofulci

Hi Everyone,
I'm not even sure if this is possible, but here is my problem.
I have a very rare video, taken from a VHS recording. It's English language but Russian has been dubbed over the top. The Russian is much louder and pretty much drowns out the English. I've checked both channels and it is the same for left and right.
I've used a few programs in the past such as Soundforge, however I've been told that it would be impossible to create a filter that can identify and remove the Russian dub, leaving the English intact.
Whether someone with more advanced equipment, such as a professional movie editing room or newsroom could do it, I don't know.
Does anyone have any thoughts? I anyone out there thinks it's possible I've be happy to pay for their time and expertise.
Many thanks
May 27, 2013 @03:26pm
TimOBrien

With a voice over a voice, you have the same frequency ranges masking each other.
It's like painting different colors over a wall and then just trying to remove just one out of the middle of the layers.
Highly doubtful it could be done.
May 28, 2013 @12:35pm
luciofulci

Many thanks Tim - suspected this would be the case.
Cheers
May 28, 2013 @03:50pm
TimOBrien

Although maybe if you had access to the CIA analysts, a few million dollars and a couple of supercomputers.... ;)
May 28, 2013 @07:30pm
Joe Muscara

I would think the only possibility would be if the Russian voice is very different than the English-speaking one, perhaps if one was male and the other female, or one is just much deeper or higher than the other. Then, you might be able to to get most of the Russian out of it.
May 29, 2013 @10:51am
music producer

A couple engineers I know have programs that remove very select audio frequencies from a recording. The way this works is to sample the offending noise (usu. too much room noise, hiss, etc.) when no other audio is present. If there is somewhere in the film where there is a very quiet moment (no music, sfx, etc) and just the Russian speaking voice is present, you might be able to sample that and get rid of a portion of Голос России. Seems unlikely though, even if the original and voice-over voices are quite different.
June 7, 2013 @12:19pm