0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Bargain Priced Neck Through Body Basses

Kevin Holmes

Anyone know of a good Neck Thru bass that's inexpensive?
I've been looking for a few weeks, and the best deal I've seen so far is the Epi Thunderbird Classic.
Too many of the cheaper ones are bolt on necks. The purpose of the Thunderbird is that its a neck thru, after all.
Any ideas?
May 24, 2013 @06:37pm
R Whittington

Hi Kevin,
That'll be about the most affordable neck thru that I'm aware of. Is there something in particular about that one you don't like?
May 28, 2013 @01:10pm
Kevin Holmes

What I dislike is the fact that they offer it in so many versions, all of which are bolt-ons. It just seems like dishonest marketing. There are plenty of them floating around (the bolteds), so I imagine I'll just play one a bit. I am aware that the P and the Jazz have been made with bolt-on necks forever, and nobody has ever called them cheesy (somebody probably has, given the amount of years they've been around).
Thanks for replying, BTW
Kevin Holmes
May 28, 2013 @03:43pm
R Whittington

wow...I wasn't even aware the Epi T-bird was bolt on I'd assumed since Epi instruments are generally pretty close to their Gibson counterparts, it too would have been neck thru.
That being said...You're likely looking at a much more significant investment to get to a neck thru bass unfortunately.
May 29, 2013 @11:36am
Kevin Holmes

Just the tops of the line, the Classic, and the Pro, are thru body. They look like really nice basses for the money, but when you add the case (you'd be crazy to buy a quality instrument w/o a case), you're getting close enough to the price of a Gibson that you might as well put one (a gibson) on a credit card.
May 30, 2013 @11:31am
R Whittington

I know you're a bit opposed to bolt on...but I'll tell you...the affordable Ibanez basses are some of the best I've seen. I think they're the best bang for the buck.
May 30, 2013 @09:56pm
TimmyP1955

A guy at work has a couple from ravenwestguitar.com . They are very nice instruments, especially the one with the spalted maple top.
August 4, 2015 @06:59am