0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Headset mic choices

The KIDD

Oh BOY! Here I go again. Seems I didnt learn my lesson in the early 80's when I bought the new Shure SM10 headset.VERY FLIMSEY. Had to duct tape, velcro, hair clasp it to my ears and with no ON OFF switch, my colorful language was heard occasionally spite many repremands.;) Anyway, I know the Crown 311 gets high reviews and thats what Im focusing on a the present. Just wonderin if anyone has used an AT, Shure,Countryman AKG, Sennheiser, Samson etc in its same class?..Im wantin to stay hard wired (XLR) too.Im not gonna be movin much nowdays, just need to look down at FX pedals while singin. Gettin tired of headbuttin my 58 and missin half my breaks...;) Please share your exps and Pros/ Cons.
Thanks,
KIDD
May 6, 2013 @12:40pm
moxjox

Oh BOY! Here I go again. Seems I didnt learn my lesson in the early 80's when I bought the new Shure SM10 headset.VERY FLIMSEY. Had to duct tape, velcro, hair clasp it to my ears and with no ON OFF switch, my colorful language was heard occasionally spite many repremands.;) Anyway, I know the Crown 311 gets high reviews and thats what Im focusing on a the present. Just wonderin if anyone has used an AT, Shure,Countryman AKG, Sennheiser, Samson etc in its same class?..Im wantin to stay hard wired (XLR) too.Im not gonna be movin much nowdays, just need to look down at FX pedals while singin. Gettin tired of headbuttin my 58 and missin half my breaks...;) Please share your exps and Pros/ Cons.
Thanks,
KIDD

I play keys and do vocals. I've used AKG + Audio Technica thru the years with good results. For wired headsets, the ATM 73 + 75 are great. The 75 lets U put the mic on either side which is a plus if U have monitor probs (feedback) and need to flip the headset to the other side. For wireless I've used AKG C410 + C420 (kinda hinky w/ the ear pieces holding it in place. C444 + C544 are kinda for aerobics instructors BUT they fit pretty tight on the head and if U EQ it right, it sounds pretty good. I've used the C555 and it's adjustable but not as tight on the head a the C544. You can get the C544L + C555L that have a mini XLR @ the end. Then you can use it w/ a wireless unit OR get an AKG external power supply and use it as a wired unit. I never tried the Crown 311 since it was a tad too high priced for me. The AKG + AT's were less than $175.
August 6, 2013 @03:12am