0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

omnidirectional mic for recording a bluegrass singing group

PaulineC88

Hello, I would like some suggestions for an omnidirectional mic in the $200 range that would be good for recording an 8 person bluegrass singing group.
Right now we're using one from radio shack that we don't like very well.
April 28, 2013 @11:10pm
TimmyP1955

The Fathead is nice, though I'd prefer a coincident pair of cardioids so you'll have a bit of a stereo image in your recordings.
May 1, 2013 @02:33am
GZsound

I doubt if you really want an "omni" mic to record your group.
I use a CAD M179 set on wide cardioid for a lot of bluegrass groups with great results, plus it's within your budget.
For a nice stereo spread a couple of small condensers in XY can give a very nice recording. I work with a bluegrass group that uses a Rode NT4 with excellent results, although that's outside your budget.
May 1, 2013 @07:05am
vulture

An omni is going to be really difficult to work with on a stage with monitors. Lots of grassers like the Audio Technica AT4050. And if you really want to use as an omni... you can (omni, cardioid or 8).
June 2, 2013 @05:16am
music producer

I recently paid $240 used for an Equation F20, a mic you don't see in every studio. I was looking for a better acoustic guitar mic, and a very respected engineer friend in Nashville recommended it on the basis of seeing a bluegrass group playing live around just one of them. It's definitely not omni-directional though, so it's probably not what you're looking for - but I love the sound.
June 17, 2013 @04:28pm
JoeS

A ribbon mic might be a good choice - though most if not all are "figure 8" polar pattern......it could produce a cool recording with everyone placed around it in a circle..... or not (?)
Give it a shot - can't hurt.
Joe
August 5, 2013 @07:53pm
bobaloo

Can't really go wrong with a Zoom recorder. They're a little higher than what you want to spend but they are very versitile and you don't have to drag a big recording rig around with you.
February 20, 2014 @07:31pm