0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

No "line out" - use effects loop send?

kingfool1

My amp doesn't have a line out (Peavey Delta Blues), it does have an effects loop. I would like to know if it would be feasible to use something like a A-B-Y splitter in the effects loop and use one lead going back into the effects return loop (for live sound) and the other lead going to a mixing board for PA or recording purposes? I would guess that there would be possible level issues but in itself that wouldn't be difficult to compensate for. I'm wondering if there are likely to be noise or feedback issues as well.
Unfortunately I'm not set up for recording now (I hope to be soon) I think I would prefer a direct recording over miking the amp and I'm not sure if the above setup would work or if I should just invest in a good instrument mike.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
April 26, 2013 @07:44am
DAS

My amp doesn't have a line out (Peavey Delta Blues), it does have an effects loop. I would like to know if it would be feasible to use something like a A-B-Y splitter in the effects loop and use one lead going back into the effects return loop (for live sound) and the other lead going to a mixing board for PA or recording purposes? I would guess that there would be possible level issues but in itself that wouldn't be difficult to compensate for. I'm wondering if there are likely to be noise or feedback issues as well.
Unfortunately I'm not set up for recording now (I hope to be soon) I think I would prefer a direct recording over miking the amp and I'm not sure if the above setup would work or if I should just invest in a good instrument mike.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Without knowing the exact electronic topography of the amp in question it's hard to say with 100% certainty, but usually this will work fine. I'd try it.
May 1, 2013 @12:57pm
TimmyP1955

Unless your sound is completely clean, I don't think you'll like the sound in the recording/PA. Mic it, or get a Radial JDX.
May 4, 2013 @07:08am