0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Stage Shared Vocal/Instrument Mic - condenser or dynamic?

shendershott

My Bluegrass band uses a single condenser (or sometimes two) and we all play around it. We expect it to capture vocals as well as instruments. It works pretty well when we play outside. For indoor performances the mic picks up too much noise from the room and we can't get much volume before feedback.
We like to sing around a single mic, but indoors we don't want something so sensitive as the condenser. Is there a solution to this? Perhaps using a dynamic mic with a big cardioid? Or a combination of mics? I have a feeling that the shared vocal condenser will always have a problem is a noisy room.
We don't want to go to individual dynamic mics as we like the acoustic sound and the look of the single condenser.
Can anyone offer some suggestions? How do others handle this scenario?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Steve
April 17, 2013 @02:19pm
GZsound

We had the same problem with my wife's bluegrass band. Eventually we went with individual dynamic mics, but one thing that did help was using a large diaphragm mic with adjustable patterns. We use a CAD M179 and set it on narrow cardioid when indoors.
You might also put a dynamic instrument mic below the LD on the same stand for the instruments. And the final solution is to get closer to the mic so your voices are a lot louder than the background noise.
April 25, 2013 @02:55pm