We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mic for Bass/baritone male vocals for under 400 bucks

arimalan

Hi, everyone!
I currently own an AT2020 and a samson co1u and am looking to upgrade as both mics seem to be too bright for my voice (the at2020 brighter than the co1u). Based on the price Ive narrowed my choices down to the Blue Baby Bottle, Shure Sm7b, and the AKG214. What should I get and would you recommend other mics? My range is similar to Brandon Boyd and Panic at the Disco's lead singer's vocals, but a lot deeper. Thanks! :D
April 16, 2013 @01:12pm
michaelhoddy

If you don't like bright/hyped, stay away from just about all the condensers in that price range, including the Blue mics. It generally takes more than your budget to get a condenser mic that's not all sizzle-y and hi-fi.
The SM7b is a worthy contender, as would be the Sennheiser MD421U and the EV RE27.
April 18, 2013 @10:06pm
bobbymars

re20 might be a pleasant surprise
April 19, 2013 @12:17am
GZsound

I recently did a CD project for a national bass/baritone gospel singer. I tried all the mics I own including my RE20 and ended up using my trusty CAD m179 on his voice.
No hype at all, none of the typical high end bump and he sounded exactly like he sounded and was very pleased.
April 20, 2013 @06:36am
FLZapped

I've had great success with the Shure Beta 57
December 14, 2013 @02:17pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!