0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Large Diaphram condenser for group vocals?

Joe Soundman

I often need to reinforce vocals for a quartet or larger vocal ensamble in my church who are "mic shy". When two or more vocalists share a mic they tend to hold it too low for a strong signal. I turn up the channel and usaully get feedback. I am wondering if a large diaphram condenser mic would be a good solution to this problem. Also would a uni pattern be better than cardiod? I am also planning a meeting with vocalists to teach good mic techniques but attendance can't be forced. We usually don't have an oportunity for a soundcheck before the service, since practice is in a different room.
April 5, 2013 @01:11pm
Jim Tavegia

You may have to hold a joint class on proper mic technique. The shyness must go away or you will never be able to properly do your job and make them heard in an intelligible manor. Some sessions when the sanctuary is empty could help and make them more comfortable.
I would still prefer individual hand held mics, or you could place them on stands, but the performers must still stay within 6 inches of the mic. Try and train them to hold the mic just below their chin, practicing by barely touching the bottom of their chin with the mic and move it down a couple of inches. You may not need foam windscreens if they can keep it there rather than too many who want to work with the mic sticking out their nose. The audience wants to see a face, not a mic sticking out of it. It is hard to train people to do this, but in the long run it will pay huge dividends.
I have just purchased a Rode M1 hand held dynamic mic and I love this mic. Even below the chin the mic has the fullest sound of any handheld I have tried over the years. At $99 it is a steal of a mic and it may be a great mic if you have a soprano soloist with a bright voice you wish to tame a little. My kit now has a pair of Senn e835s and will have a pair of M1's. These will be my go to vocal mics from now on.
April 6, 2013 @12:42am
GZsound

I use a single LD condenser mic for group vocals all the time. It is very common in the bluegrass world.
Shure KSM 32/44, AT 4047, 4050, 4040, etc., I have even seen a Rode NT4 mic work very well with group vocals.
April 6, 2013 @06:35am