0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

vocal plug ins and good recording mic recommendation?

djmusicman

Hello sound gurus,
have protools
have recorded instrumental music successfully but think i'm missing something with vocal music
1) looking for inexpensive vocal plug in (s) with auto tune and ability to transpose voice an octave.
2) anything else needed for good vocal recording? my last vocal recording was only so-so using the standard reverb plug ins that come with protools.
3) want inexpensive yet very good vocal mic for studio recording (is that possible?) - want clarity and some "shine".
4) finally any good resources out there for good down to earth advise on vocal recording (web or book)
Your sage advice is appreciated.
djmusicman
March 23, 2013 @12:58am
AudioNinja

1> There is nothing under $200 as a vocal plugin that also does tuning or transposition that sounds any good.
2> Needs for good vocal recording as follows:
> Vocal mic, $1000 to $2000
> Nice mic-pre $1000 to $1500
> Good analog compressor $1500
> EQ can be done ITB
Unfortunately there is no workaround for good/great sounding vocals.
3> There is no one vocal mic for all. Each voice needs something a bit different. Why do you think there are all different kinds of vocal mics? Some average to good ones are: any large diaphragm Neumann, AKG 414, the B.L.U.E. bluberry and baby bottle,.
4> can't think of any off hand.
March 30, 2013 @06:00pm
wogg

1 - I hate autotune. Sing it right A good compressor is essential though. My favorite to nail vocals up front is actually pretty cheap and simple, the Waves rVox
2 - audioninja's prices are pretty high, you can get decent results with much less. There are plenty of large diaphram condensor mics in lower price brackets, you should except a few hundred dollars and up. A mic pre can be had for much less too and a outboard compressor isn't needed, just watch your recording levels.
3 - Like he said, large diaphram condensor is the way to go, they all have a little different character to them but many will get decent results
4 - It's all about your voice technique, the mic just catches it. If you (or whomever you're recording) suck, so will your recording.
March 30, 2013 @06:45pm