0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 2

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

M-Audio Profire 2626 issues

jhack55

I would appreciate a timely response on this, as I am in the middle of a session week, and I'd like to get to the bottom of these issues quickly if I can. I actually have been experiencing two issues with this interface. Let me start with number one:
It's really the most annoying thing actually. I never used to have this problem, but sometimes when running a recording session through my profire into Pro Tools 9, it will all work perfectly for about 5-10 minutes (sometimes longer) before the audio playback will simply cut out. The meters still run, I can still record, Pro Tools doesn't bat an eyelash, but there is NO playback. Sometimes after doing this, the audio will come back briefly, just to cut out again a few minutes or seconds later. Once the audio has cut out, most of the time it will never come back, so I have to close out pro tools and restart. I've also been experiencing connection issues (issues with the Profire staying connected to the computer (syncing with the computer so it recognizes it) - but once it does finally, normally this isn't an issue. Just thought I'd mention it in case it helped.
Issue number two is that I'm not sure if this is an issue with the profire, but for some reason the line level input from the line level output of my preamp (Black Lion Audio B12A) doesn't appear to be passing through a line level input. When I plug the condenser mic directly into the profire using the interface's preamp, it's nice and loud, and I can hit my desired input level. But I have to crank the B12A close to all the way up to get the same level. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks for your quick responses in advance.
March 20, 2013 @11:27pm
TimOBrien

What firewire chipset do you have in the computer?
Start>Control Panels>Device Manager look for the IEE-1394 tab.
If it doesn't say Texas Instruments, that's likely your problem.
Audio interfaces really need Texas Instruments chips for compatibility.
You may need to get a TI-chip firewire card....
March 21, 2013 @01:27pm
af-dcwave

Sounds like a firewire issue. Change the cable. If that doesn't fix it, change the chipset. Ti is the preferred chip. If it still happens try it on a different PC. If it happens on another PC, it could be the unit itself.
As far as the Pre going into the line in - not sure. I run external pre's into the 2626 with no issue - Im usually hitting the line inputs at about -18dBfs at peak.
April 2, 2013 @10:20pm