0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Total newbie with a question. Be gentle?

anuddaguy

Okay, so I'm in the midst of collecting the greatest personal playlist ever, and there's this movie from the 80s with a great soundtrack that was never released. I mean as in none of the songs exist anywhere else, in any format. Needless to say, I want those songs. Is there software I can use to remove the sounds and dialogue but keep the music? I know they might not be in separate streams, but is there any, I don't know, "smart" software that can do it within a reasonable margin of error? Please, please help. I'm way out of my element here and would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
February 3, 2013 @07:07pm
TimOBrien

Nope. There are some tricks to try to remove the center of the stereo spread on songs, but it's hit and miss at best
and no computer is smart enough yet to really de-construct stuff.
February 4, 2013 @12:46am
anuddaguy

Okay, I can accept that--but isn't it true that, at least sometimes, the dialogue and sound effects are in separate audio streams? I doubt they are in a B-movie from the 80's, but you never know. Also, I swear this has happened...my headphones weren't plugged in all the way once or twice and I could hear the music, but not everything else so much. Why would that happen? I know that's hardware, not software, but...it seems to hint at something.
February 4, 2013 @01:09pm
TimOBrien

You might get that on 5.1 surround audio streams where the dialog is only in the center channel.
But not in a mixed stereo stream and not on 2-channel headphones.
And it would be doubtful on '80s movies when that tech did not exist (unless it had been remastered)
February 4, 2013 @01:19pm
anuddaguy

Okay, so if I'm going to try something, anything at all, what's my best bet? The DVD case says "digitally mastered", but not "remastered", I don't know if it makes a difference. I get that I probably won't achieve what I want to, but I'll take what I can get.
February 4, 2013 @10:15pm