0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

power amp

kenthehats

Hi, I run an open mic night in southend on sea England and have a problem that i am getting various unhelpful answers...Ihave a 1,000 wattage power amp 500 each side can you please tell me the minimum size speakers i need to gwet a reasonably good sound..i know it has to go thru a mixer first. ty for your time.
January 22, 2013 @08:33am
GZsound

You can get decent sound with speakers from eight inches to 18 inches. You don't tell us anything about the room you are trying to fill and not a lot about the kind of music you are running.
Typically, that amp would easily power a couple 400 watt speakers. Normally the most common small speaker is a 12 inch and the most common average speaker is a 15 inch. For example, a couple of Yamaha S12V speakers would sound fine with that amp as would a couple of S115V speakers. I would not go smaller than 12 inch speakers personally.
January 28, 2013 @07:31am
tamadrum

It's also fair to say you are likely to damage any speaker if the amplifier clips on musical peaks - clean power into a loudspeaker is much less likely to cause any damage.
April 14, 2014 @11:57am