0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 5

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

College Degree Options

exeConn

Hey guys, first post here. I'm just psyched to have found a forum that's basically all about my interests, but I digress-- I've come seeking some advice.
I'm going into my third year of study in college, and I need to choose a college in Michigan that ties into my career choice of an audio engineer. I have the option of attending college in Hawaii as well, but I really have no idea which college on the islands could offer a degree in what I want to do.
So my question to you guys is: What college do you think would be the best, and what degree seems to fit what I want to do? Any and all responses will be very much appreciated, as I'm kinda lost here.
-Michigan Tech University offers the degrees: BA in Sound Design, or a BS in Audio Production & Technology. They seem to have the strongest web presence, and is the only college not requiring an audition with a primary instrument.
-Wayne State University offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Technology, along with the promise that graduates are hired as audio engineers, composers, etc. They require an audition before an 'audition commitee,' and a technical resume detailing hardware and software abilities.
-University of Michigan offers a dual degree program in the form of a BA in Sound Engineering. They require math up to Calc 3, Intro. to Differential Equations, Physics-- challenging courses.
So really, my question is this: Which one would you pick? I'm lost.
December 27, 2012 @10:38pm
Analogasaur

Hey guys, first post here. I'm just psyched to have found a forum that's basically all about my interests, but I digress-- I've come seeking some advice.
I'm going into my third year of study in college, and I need to choose a college in Michigan that ties into my career choice of an audio engineer. I have the option of attending college in Hawaii as well, but I really have no idea which college on the islands could offer a degree in what I want to do.
So my question to you guys is: What college do you think would be the best, and what degree seems to fit what I want to do? Any and all responses will be very much appreciated, as I'm kinda lost here.
-Michigan Tech University offers the degrees: BA in Sound Design, or a BS in Audio Production & Technology. They seem to have the strongest web presence, and is the only college not requiring an audition with a primary instrument.
-Wayne State University offers a Bachelor of Music in Music Technology, along with the promise that graduates are hired as audio engineers, composers, etc. They require an audition before an 'audition commitee,' and a technical resume detailing hardware and software abilities.
-University of Michigan offers a dual degree program in the form of a BA in Sound Engineering. They require math up to Calc 3, Intro. to Differential Equations, Physics-- challenging courses.
So really, my question is this: Which one would you pick? I'm lost.

Hello execonn. You are a lucky guy being able to choose a college to attend. There are three that I know of that you might want to take a look at. I work with a lady who went to FullSail in Florida. She is a excellent photojournalist here in Chicago working for a major network. My nephew went to Emerson in Boston. He recieved excellent hands on experience producing different productions. He is now in the business at a video prduction house in Chicago. Shooting and editing. Columbia College in Chicago has classes in many of the different fields in the broadcast and movie making business. I am lucky . I got my job with the experience I had behind me. 35 years later it includes audio for newsgathering. Audio for productions of a non news type for network TV. Sound reinforcement in the studio for TV. Audio production in the editing room. So if its in the studio,out in the field or in the editing room I have to be prepared for it all. When you get out there you can't fool them. They can spot a phony a mile away.
If you choose a school try to make sure they are teaching 2013 moviemaking,broadcasting,sound reinforcement. !985 courses won't cut it. Oh one note. I did not go to school. It was all hard knocks. Learning on the job. Three Emmys look great on the wall.
January 7, 2013 @09:00pm