0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Shure SM57 & SM58

bcool

How to identify fake Shure microphones (SM57 & 58) in market.
November 25, 2012 @06:25am
Analogasaur

I work in Chicago Il USA Just miles from Shure Bros HQ. I have friends who work for Shure. It is a major problem. Mics are sent back because thay don't sound RIGHT. They don't sound RIGHT because they are FAKES,knck offs. They don't sound right in China or the US. Be carefull where and who you purchase your gear from. If its a used mic, make them put it through a system . Put it through headphones. Shure customer service can give you a real good idea on how to stay away from knockoff junk. If it seems like a real good deal it might be too real.
January 11, 2013 @03:45pm
Analogasaur

bcool I see that you are in India. You have to be extra carefull. A reputable dealer or someone you do business with all the time who you can trust would be the way to go. A dealer who you can bring a mic back to if it is a fake. Buyer beware.
January 11, 2013 @04:21pm
JeffBarnett

There are a bunch of blogs and YouTube videos with various tips on spotting fakes. The easiest way is always the price, though. In the US, 57s and 58s are sold for $99 pretty much everywhere. If you see somebody selling one online for more than 10 or 15% off of that price, it's probably a fake - especially if it's on Craigslist, eBay, or some other website that doesn't specialize in audio or music gear.
That which seems too good to be true, usually is.
January 11, 2013 @04:38pm