0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Speakers in parallel

paul7475

I recently added a pair of outdoor speakers to my system. With only A and B speaker outs I paired them on the B out. All 6 speakers are 8 ohm. I now have an 4 ohm load on the B out. This probably isn't good for the amp? I have considered going with a speaker selector. The TEC-905B at Amazon looks decent. I could also install resistors in series with the speakers in question. I can't find an 8 ohm but I can get close. Or I can leave the way it is. Any thoughts?
Much appreciated.
Paul
November 10, 2012 @05:30pm
bouldersoundguy

You could wire the B speakers in series. Then you'd have a nominally 16 ohm load.
December 3, 2012 @05:42pm
VK_Electronic

I now have an 4 ohm load on the B out. This probably isn't good for the amp? I could also install resistors in series with the speakers in question. I can't find an 8 ohm but I can get close. Or I can leave the way it is. Any thoughts?
Paul

Have you checked the manual for the amp? Anything on the back of the amp?
Some can handle 4 ohms with no problem.
Some can but at lower volume.
Some can not.
Putting in resistors will reduce the volume considerably. If you do.........make sure the power rating is high enough (ROT: resistor rating should be double the power you calculate).
January 27, 2013 @12:19am