0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Question about audio components for a PC

Toriatama

Hello here,
I've just built up a new PC with win7 64Bits. My old sound card is no more compatible with Win7 (I've already checked all the forum/support/info available), I just have the integrated audio chipset (Realtek) of my motherboard, and no speaker at all for now. But, at least, I have a M-Audio mobile pre USB audio sound card bought sometime ago for recording with a microphone (Perception 170). This card is working well with Win7.
I am not a professional of audio nor a musician, just someone who want a decent sound for classical music, casual gaming, and some voice recording.
My questions are:
- does my M-Audio mobile pre USB sound card is only good for recording, or may I use it to replace the Realtek audio chipset? Would you advise be to buy a PCI sound card and keep the M-Audio only for recording? If so, which affordable/great value sound card (around 100 dollars) would you recommend? But may be my M-Audio mobile pre USB card is good overall sound card?
- for my needs (not professional), could you recommend any nice 2.0 audio speakers for my PC, if possible not too big? I am ready to spend 100 to 200 $ (max) for a clear sound. I am not sure Logitech is a reliable brand for sound, and have no idea about other brand. Not sure, but I would say that most 2.1 with (sub?)woofer and strong bass are made to seduce gamers rather than audiophiles.
Well, in one word, I am ready to spend some money if I can hear the difference!
Thank you for any suggestion!
PS: for speakers, browsing the web I've noticed a model that sounds pretty good for its price: HiVi Swans M200MKII 2.0 (here, in Asia, they coast around 170 $). They just look a bit ugly but reviews are very positive.
March 20, 2012 @04:58pm
VK_Electronic

I want decent sound for classical music, casual gaming, and some voice recording.
1) use the Realtek audio chipset?
2) could you recommend any nice 2.0 audio speakers for my PC,

1 - I am not a big fan of Realtek for quality sound but the newer chipsets are pretty decent - try it - if it works for you
2 - your ears are the best judge - do some listening tests at a shop
January 27, 2013 @12:44am