0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

A certain cable needed...

KenyonSaus

Hi, new here - registered just to post this question, actually. Seems like a good forum though!
Anyway, i recently just bought a 5.1 PC Surround System, and its connected to my sound card via 3 3.5mm jacks. The problem i have is, when i want to use it with my PS3, i need to constantly switch wires etc. This is a pain!
Basically what i could do with is a 1 Female 3.5mm Jack to 2 Female 3.5mm Jack, if that makes sense.... I don't even know if it exists, i have found no trace on the internet *facepalm*. So yeah, if no-one knows where to get one, could anyone suggest an alternative solution?
Thankyou for your time, Martyn
January 4, 2012 @03:36pm
Bops2000

I moved your inquiry to a more appropriate topic
January 4, 2012 @07:13pm
bouldersoundguy

If you're thinking about doing something that connects the output of the sound card to the output of the PS3 you may want to reconsider. They make mini-plug switchers but you would need three of them. Maybe it's time to get a Bud box and parts to make your own.
January 5, 2012 @02:01am
KenyonSaus

Attached is a picture of what i want to do ;p. It's hard to describe in words as i don't even know if the hardware exists, so the picture will say a thousand words.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1355[/ATTACH]
And i've just realised how to put it into words.
I want to use my 5.1 System with both my PC and PS3 simultaneously - without unplugging anything.
Voila!
January 5, 2012 @12:56pm
bouldersoundguy

Attached is a picture of what i want to do ;p. It's hard to describe in words as i don't even know if the hardware exists, so the picture will say a thousand words.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1355[/ATTACH]
And i've just realised how to put it into words.
I want to use my 5.1 System with both my PC and PS3 simultaneously - without unplugging anything.
Voila!

Then you need a mixer. It could be something as crude as a bunch of resistors providing isolation between the outputs or something with active circuits and level controls. Google around for info on summing line level signals.
January 6, 2012 @04:19am
VK_Electronic

you are confusing me somewhat;
1 - you want to use one sound system from 2 sources NOT simultaneously
or
2 - you want to use one sound system from 2 sources simultaneously
for 2 you need a mixer
for 1 you can use a mixer or sound switch box
for either you can hunt for commercial models or make your own
If you make your own switch box (its not hard) use a 4 pole 2 position switch [and shielded cable is preferred].
4 poles because keeping the ground isolated is usually best.
January 27, 2013 @12:53am