0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Happening Now

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Speaker Buzz

brbrown

Hope this is the correct forum section for this. I have just bought a pair of combined Cerulian speakers to go with a new monitor which does not have integral speakers. When I connect the "line in" plug from the speaker to the computer, I get quite a loud buzz from the speaker at the volume I need. I didn't get this from the integral speakers on my previous monitor. Can anyone please tell me if the speakers may be faulty or could it be caused by some sort of feed back. If it may be feed back , how can I cure it? I use Windows XP Sp3
December 11, 2011 @08:39am
JeffBarnett

Hi - welcome to Audio Forums. The forum you posted in is for sound reinforcement questions, and we generally don't cover home audio issues here, so I'm moving this thread to the "off topic" forum.
The buzz you are hearing is most likely caused by the speakers seeing a different ground than the computer, not feedback. Type "solving ground loops" into a Google search for some suggestions. Here's an article which may be of some help to you: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/home_solving.html
December 12, 2011 @02:14pm
brbrown

Hello Jeff. Thanks for that. I have read the link you posted and Googled the problem as well. The reading has been quite an education for me. However, there seems to be different pieces of equipment to use for different set-ups and I am not sure what I need. The speaker power comes from its USB connection and the buzz only starts when the line-in plug is inserted. Anyone any ideas please?
December 13, 2011 @10:27am
JeffBarnett

It sounds like the speakers are seeing two different ground potentials - one through the line input and one through the USB. I'm not familiar with your speakers so I can't tell you the best way to do this, but it likely will involve lifting the ground on the line input.
(Word of caution: Never lift the safety ground on any electrical device. It's called a safety ground for a reason. We're just talking about lifting the ground in the audio line.)
December 13, 2011 @07:43pm
robertruetz

Can you list which speakers we're talking about specifically. I'm confused by the USB comment. If they receive power from the USB bus, I would also assume there is a way for them to receive sound via USB, thus eliminating the need for the line-in. A make and model number will allow us to look up the speakers and make better sense of your problem.
Rob
December 13, 2011 @08:47pm
brbrown

Thank you both for the replies. I can see I have confused the issue. I said line-in instead of line-out so I assume that the power comes via the USB. The only information I have is that the speakers are described as Cerulian Technology 2watt Portable 2.0 Speaker System N41JB. Total output - 1 watt x 2(RMS), Driver unit - 2" 4 ohm 3 watt, Frequency Response 100Hz-20KHz and it has a 3.5mm audio plug which plugs into the computer and a USB plug. They were only cheap but small so adequate for my needs. See this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&clk_rvr_id=296230895360&item=200657114054. Hope this helps. Brian
December 14, 2011 @02:30pm
brbrown

Hello Jay. Thanks for the reply/ I have been living with the problem but there is no harm in me doing a check. Thanks again.
November 11, 2012 @07:16pm
VK_Electronic

I would say you are screwed...................MAYBE try putting an 1:1 audio transformer between - get a cheap one to see if it works - Radio Shack USED TO carry them
January 27, 2013 @12:25am
brbrown

I don't think it's worth doing anything else. I found I don't use it much. I will probably buy a better new set sometime. Anyway, thanks for responding.
January 27, 2013 @06:45am