0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Singing to Notation Software

Autastic

Hi,
I am looking for software that will write notation of the notes I sing.
But when I search for this, all I can find are things that allow you to make tunes from a single-note sampled voice. I want to sing an entire tune, and have the whole thing written for me; not to be able to make a tune out of one sound.
This thread says that Sibelius and AudioScore do this, but when looking for videos on either tool, none of them show anyone singing into the software.
Also, is MS Songsmith a realistic option, as someone on the same thread suggests?
And what would I need to convert it to Notation please?
Does anyone know where I can see a demo of what I need with this or any other software please?
PS I am a total music software novice. I cannot read music and all the other fancy bells and whistles, like amending notation, will be wasted on me, but as it takes me a whole day to write just the notes to one song (forget the rhythm!), such a tool will be worth a lot to me. I need the notation to give to proper musicians!
thanks a lot
September 23, 2011 @05:14pm
TimOBrien

Not really possible yet. Come back in 10 years or so.
Better to spend your time learning how to input notes in a notation program from a keyboard or computer keys.
September 24, 2011 @01:29pm
bouldersoundguy

Probably an autotune type program would tell you what notes you're singing. It should be technically possible to produce notation from that, but I don't know if anything exists that makes that connection.
September 24, 2011 @06:46pm
Autastic

OK, thanks. It seems it's not a popular feature needed or more people would know about it.
Sibelius and AudioScore do have this feature. They just cost $600 minimum.
TimOBrien: - "Better to spend your time learning how to input notes in a notation program from a keyboard or computer keys."
Thanks but that would not help, because it takes me ages just to find out what note it is on the keyboard, though I can sing my compositions correctly straight away. It took me five hours yesterday just to write the notes to one verse. I haven't even started the chorus yet! With work commitments I don't have the time I'd need to devote to it, using this method.
I shall just have to fork out the $600.
Oh well, if anyone else DOES want to know if it's possible; it is, it just costs a lot of money.
thanks
September 25, 2011 @02:03pm