0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Exporting files from FL 9

AnonymusPsyko

Hi,
I hope someone will be able to resolve my problem because it has been pissing me off for the past hour. I have came up with this bass sound I really like but when I export it it sounds like crap. I have tried both mp3 and wav format and they both sound totally different from the FL file. The sound is just muddy and not at all like the one from the playback I get in FL.
So I don't know if I need to get another program to export the file and keep the quality the same or something. All I know is that there must be way to do it cauz the sound is right there in the program.
Thx alot this is my first post.
June 20, 2010 @08:22pm
sedativechunk

Hi,
I hope someone will be able to resolve my problem because it has been pissing me off for the past hour. I have came up with this bass sound I really like but when I export it it sounds like crap. I have tried both mp3 and wav format and they both sound totally different from the FL file. The sound is just muddy and not at all like the one from the playback I get in FL.
So I don't know if I need to get another program to export the file and keep the quality the same or something. All I know is that there must be way to do it cauz the sound is right there in the program.
Thx alot this is my first post.

So you have a crappy export then? You have to change your export rate then. On the export screen, change the bit rate to something higher, at minimum it should be 128kbs. 128kbs has been the standard on sounds for years as it creates a full song on average at the size of around 5mb. Over the past few years though, we started seeing ipods and zunes with massive 80GB harddrives, I export everything at 256kbs now, and most of what I make is all electronic instrumental music.
Besides the bit rate, set the sample interpolation to max at 512 point sync. Yes, it will say slow as hell but that's only if your PC is hella slow and 512 should be used when you are exporting something final.
If you still have a crappy export after this, there is another problem, possibly the instrument is clipping or there is a more serious error going on.
June 21, 2010 @05:01pm
keyjslider

SYNC DEPTH 512 will not help.
I also noticed a drastic difference between the live FL sound and the sound exported . This is probably caused by that FL always uses DirectX drivers for internal audio conversion even though standalone e.g. ASIO or WDM audiointerface driver has been set for output in FL audio settings. They probably interact and conflict to each other during export. This does not happen during playback.
What I do - I grab live FL sound by means of live audio grabber program (old Audio Maestro) which takes up the output "what you hear" and records it into separate wav 16-bit 44 kHz file. Even without sync depth settings the audio recorded is pristine and does not differ from original I hear in FL live.
Also KOPE, one of the forum members, recommended the following: "Try to use same settings like for live i.e. 32 bit 96 KHz (must to be wav) and then downgrade in some audio editor to 16 bit 44.1 KHz." Maybe this helps, I still have not had a chance to check this issue since his post cause I am reinstalling my systems.
Maybe this is not a common situation and it happens with your setup and mine and not the others.
If this problem persists and you're seriously concerned about it I would strictly recommend to switch to different sequencer like first of all Cubase, then Samplitude, Tracktion, Orion Platinum, Sonar.
June 22, 2010 @10:24am
AnonymusPsyko

hmm i will certainly look into that program. I had the idea of extracting the sound with a live cam but it didnt turned out well. Ill let you know if it works for me.
thx for the info.
June 24, 2010 @04:33pm
sedativechunk

Actually sync depth can make a difference, although not dramatic, the highest settings export songs the closest to the original mix in FL Studio. As long as it's in the middle setting though it probably won't sound much different, but it could have been something silly with this.
The most important and basic thing is to try first the bit depth, which actually controls the quality of a file, before jumping to conclusions on drivers. I use ASIO drivers with a USB mixer board, and before that I had another recording interface, I've never had any problems with either one of those. I get a perfect export every time that sounds just like my FL Studio version of the song.
I don't think switching to a different sequencer would help, if anything it would hurt. Other programs don't have the export flexibilities FL Studio has. Most of them only use wav's which you can't use on many music social networking sites. Sonar even makes you pay for MP3 support. And Orion Platinum, really? That program is just a half assed version of FL Studio. I've used almost all the major DAW's, I don't think any work as good as FL Studio.
I have another simpler solution to try if your exports really don't work, this would only work if you had a USB mixer board or audio recording interface though (which you can buy them very cheap, under $100.00 bucks). Use the ASIO audio drviers and select your master mixer board track in FL studio. Select the audio input on that mixer track and record the audio from that mixer track. Your entire song will now exist in a high quality wave file saved in your FL Studio recordings once done recording. This is how you have to record stuff anyway sometimes if you have a drum machine or synthesized plugged into your PC.
FL Studio is older software, the core engine hasn't changed much since 2003, most upgrades changed the playlist and free sound samples that come with the program. Todays hardware shouldn't have troubles exporting songs to that extreme. If None of these post help you out, try visiting the official FL Studio forums where the people that made the program actually help others out, I'm sure you will get a better answer there to fix this problem.
June 24, 2010 @04:45pm
M.T.Pilot

try exporting with "dithering" switched off in the export screen. I once had a similar problem that was solved in this way.
June 26, 2010 @06:30pm