0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

The right speakers for a small venue

dadoftwowinds

Hi, I need your help. I have a gig upcoming in a space that is very intimate -- 50 by 20 feet. It is a wine bar, not a lot of noise.
I am piecing my equipment together... will be running a Kawaii digital piano, mic, mackie mixer with onboard effects... vocals. Genre is jazz, blues and light rock.
The speakers is where I am struggling. The guy at the store is trying to sell me mackies on a stand... they are powered which I like, but I feel they are way too much for the space.
I can't help but think there is something almost book shelve size that I could mount in the corners. I am looking for clean and I want bass to be present.
I have about 500 to spend on the pair...
I even considered powered reference monitors -- but feel it would be so flat and I am afraid the mackie mixer could not eq it fine enough. Am I wrong on that?
any suggestions from this august group?
John
June 19, 2010 @05:37pm
Bops2000

How many players? Vocals?
You may just want to run through your amp for that gig.
Down the road, a pair of Bose 802's used, or 901's with
a powered mixer, or small power amp, sounds like it would do you.
June 19, 2010 @05:47pm
bouldersoundguy

Small studio monitors are not designed for your application. They might be enough or might not. Do you want to risk it? You're always better off having extra capacity and giving yourself headroom than shorting yourself of output. Get the Mackies and turn them down as needed.
June 19, 2010 @06:10pm
dadoftwowinds

The bose angle is interesting. If I go with that or something similar, does any one have a rec on a good low powered amp?
June 19, 2010 @07:32pm
GZsound

I personally agree that the Mackies are overpriced.
I would suggest a couple Yamaha S12V speakers. Small, easy to transport and they sound great. You can buy a pair of them for the cost of one of the Mackie powered speakers.
Get a decent power amp like a QSC GX3 and then you have the ability to add more or bigger speakers at a later date if your needs expand.
June 20, 2010 @05:34am
bouldersoundguy

I would suggest a couple Yamaha S12V speakers. Small, easy to transport and they sound great. You can buy a pair of them for the cost of one of the Mackie powered speakers.
Get a decent power amp like a QSC GX3 and then you have the ability to add more or bigger speakers at a later date if your needs expand.

This is a reasonable setup, though the Club series Yamahas are a bit heavy.
June 20, 2010 @06:47am
LiveSoundAudio

QSC K8's or K10's
June 22, 2010 @01:30am
TimmyP1955

No law says that you must have two speakers. If one will cover the space, go for it. Sometimes less is more.
June 22, 2010 @01:58am