0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Sid Highwind

Object lesson #19: Great sounding speakers aren’t accurate monitors, but here’s why we need both.
Check out this article on the Earthworks Sigma 6.2 by clicking here
December 22, 2003 @07:54pm
Ed Belknap

I cannot believe Jim Miller wrote something as drastically misleading as "It’s a well known fact that high frequencies move faster than low frequencies" !!!!!
Were you smokin' crack when you wrote that, Jim? :)
High frequencies may *vibrate* faster than low frequencies...in fact, that's not only axiomatic, it's the definition of "high (versus low) frequencies"
But they propogate (i.e., move) no faster than low frequencies; all sound waves moves at the same speed through a given medium.
August 12, 2004 @06:23pm
andrew mcginness

someone needs to do more homework or something.
there is alot more to that tweeter than you mentioned.:D
December 3, 2004 @01:10am
edhunt

I always thought that the point of moving the tweeter back was to achieve the same point-source as the woofer without using tannoy's concentric design.
Edward
December 3, 2004 @05:32am
elsteve9

Actually, a larger speaker responds less quickly than a smaller speaker. Though you're correct, the sound waves themselves don't actually travel any faster.
I think this is what he was getting at.
(Though I haven't read the article.)
-Stephen
December 3, 2004 @05:43am
Lorelei2121

Interesting thread...
The speed of sound is not always the same for all waves in any given medium, as one previous poster stated.
Air happens to be a 'non-dispersive' medium. (A lucky thing, that!) This is not true of most solids, where indeed, the frequency of the wave will affect how quickly it travels. Water, for example, is dispersive, which is one reason why sound gets so garbled underwater. Light waves of different frequencies have different speeds in water, or glass, for example, and this is why white light can be split by a prism into different colours. Dispersion, if it occurred in air, would really ruin a musical performance!
The reason for setting the tweeter back is that smaller objects (like a tiny tweeter) have less inertia than big objects, and will respond faster. So the finite separation between tweeter and woofer undoubtedly has to do with compensating for different reaction times. You're effectively trying to cancel a phase difference which has to do with reaction time, not wave speed.
May 5, 2009 @09:19pm