rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Help with getting Karaoke Microphone to work

qiang_ze

I recently bought a sony dynamic microphone for singing karaoke on my laptop. however, i can't seem to get the microphone input to be transmitted and amplified to my speaker output. In other words, I can't hear what i'm singing into the microphone on my speakers. I tried calling sony but they could not help me with this. I also tried downloading several karaoke software but those didnt help either. How do I get what I sing into the microphone to come out from speaker output?
October 10, 2008 @11:12pm
GZsound

You don't tell us what kind of soundcard you have. Also, you may have a low impedence mic and no mic preamp in your soundcard so the mic won't work.
You also may not have the ability with your software or your soundcard drivers to have the mic input routed to the speakers.
We need more information.
October 11, 2008 @04:37pm
qiang_ze

Checking in the "sound" portion of my control panel, under the playback tab, I see "Speakers" and below that writes SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio. Under the same tab, there is also a "Digital Output device" that also has written under it SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio.
Under the recording tab, there is a "Microphone" that has written under it SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio.
My microphone model is SONY F-V100. Its specifications are as follows:
Output Impedance: 300ohms at 1kHz, unbalanced
Directivity: Omni-directional
Frequency respoinse: 100Hz- 10000Hz
Sensitivity: 59.0 dB
Regarding software, I downloaded "Karafun". Under the microphone portion displayed when I run the software, I set the microphone input volume and microphone output volume to maximum. The display registers a change in sound levels when I sing into the microphone, but what I sing into the microphones is not amplified and played back by the speakers.
Hope this information helps. Feel free to let me know if you need any more information.
October 11, 2008 @06:40pm
Manguiko

Hi Giang Ze,
Dynamic microphones are somewhat like speakers based on the principle that a coil can produce a voltage.
Therefore, with dynamic microphones, a microphone pre-amplifier is most commonly required.
There are also condenser microphones that need DC voltage, just enough to help electrons jump the condenser (capacitor) gap.
Our lap tops do not have pre-amplifier built in at the mic jack.
But most do have a means to put a small voltage in there.
You may still hear the mic if you go into the voice or mic settings and select "mic BOOST".
However, that is not at all good enough for a dynamic microhone.
It's best if you use a microphone pre-amplifier, and for that matter even better a small mixer that has inputs for more than one mic and cost not too much, maybe $80. and even lesss used. Behringer makes a nice one.
With a small mixer as such, you will also have the capability of connecting into it, more conveniently, a turn table, a tape recorder, or practically ANY analog sound source. They have also the ability to adjust the frequency high low medium. And, there are also some with more capabilities.
For lower quality you CAN use the mic input of a pc, but you there connect PC type mics, which are specially suited for that type of mic. But they are not dynamic type, and not very good quality.
October 11, 2008 @06:47pm
qiang_ze

Hi Manguiko,
I don't quite understand the last line that you said.
So right now, I need to buy a pre-amplifier. I will connect the dynamic microphone to the pre-amplifier, which I will connect to the laptop. After that, I will be able to hear my voice coming out from my laptop speakers when I speak into the dynamic microphone. Is that right? Will I need any software for that?
Thanks,
Qiang Ze
October 12, 2008 @01:29am
GZsound

Hi Manguiko,
I don't quite understand the last line that you said.
So right now, I need to buy a pre-amplifier. I will connect the dynamic microphone to the pre-amplifier, which I will connect to the laptop. After that, I will be able to hear my voice coming out from my laptop speakers when I speak into the dynamic microphone. Is that right? Will I need any software for that?
Thanks,
Qiang Ze

I don't think you need a mic preamp necessarily. Your mic is a HIGH impedence mic that is designed to be plugged directly into the "mic in" of your soundcard, which already has a high impedence mic preamp.
You may have to look in your software to make sure the output is routed to the sound card speaker output.
When you play the software, does the music play over the speakers?
The problem may also be in your sound card. It may not be full duplex, which means it might not allow you to talk into a mic while recording and have you be able to hear it immediately through the speakers.
But.. a 300 ohm mic is a high Z mic so if it has an 1/8" jack on it and you are showing a signal input in your software, you don't need a separate preamp.
You might try using the Windows Recording program that comes with Windows and see if you are indeed recording the mic input. If you can record and then play back the mic, then the problem is in your soundcard...or your software.
October 12, 2008 @06:57am
Manguiko

Your microphone is DYNAMIC type. Dynamic types produce a very very small voltage. They are meant to be used wit mic preamp.
Your mic is 300 ohms which is LOW impedance. High impedance is above 10 K ohms.
The best you can get is with a pre-amp, I have no doubts about it.
But, as said, you can also get a boost by ENABLE Mic-BOOST in your audio settings. Usually it's in the Mixer console of your software. Get there by right click in your Speaker icon. Get to the RECORDING view, and for the microphone you get ADVANCED and there you may find the mic-BOOST. The detail may vary by PC, or Sound-card.
Voice-computer-jack microphones (such as those in headsets for Skype) are meant for recording voice VERY CLOSE (as a telephone) and you may still need to use the mic-Boost. For singing they are not good because, singing is not like speaking, your voice level varies too much and those mics can only pick up from rather close, and are not too good quality.
As said, try the mic-Boost FIRST, and see if you find that acceptable for what you do.
I don't believe that your mic is specifically designed for a computer mic jack, simply because it is Dynamic type.
If you don't want to use a preamplifier and want a good signal into the PC or laptop, you would have to get an electret mic which uses a battery. Electrect is technically also a condenser mic, or capacitor type, but uses a very small transducer or something similar. All variations of capacitor/condenser mic require a bias voltage.
But for singing, as you want, dynamic is better with the pre-amp.
It seems to me that your mic is for a dedicated Karaoke machine, with a built in pre-amp, because of its plug. But it is still a Dynamic type and can be used with a preamp.
Once you have a preamp, you can get much better mics with XLR connections for not too much. As low as $20.0 or #30.00 without the cable. A very useful pre-amp is the Xenyx 802 by Behringer.
You don't need drivers or software for any of the above things.
But there is software to put effects to voice once it gets to the PC. That you don't need to start with.
Good luck!
October 12, 2008 @08:51am
qiang_ze

I don't think you need a mic preamp necessarily. Your mic is a HIGH impedence mic that is designed to be plugged directly into the "mic in" of your soundcard, which already has a high impedence mic preamp.
You may have to look in your software to make sure the output is routed to the sound card speaker output.
When you play the software, does the music play over the speakers?
The problem may also be in your sound card. It may not be full duplex, which means it might not allow you to talk into a mic while recording and have you be able to hear it immediately through the speakers.
But.. a 300 ohm mic is a high Z mic so if it has an 1/8" jack on it and you are showing a signal input in your software, you don't need a separate preamp.
You might try using the Windows Recording program that comes with Windows and see if you are indeed recording the mic input. If you can record and then play back the mic, then the problem is in your soundcard...or your software.

Hey GZsound,
I have actually tried using the Windows Recording program that comes with Windows to record the mic input, and there is no problem with recording the sound with Windows recorder. The only problem I am facing with the mic is to get what I say into the mic to come out immediately from the speakers.
When I play the software, the music comes out over the speakers. But what I sing into the microphone does not come out from the speakers immediately. If it's a problem with my software, what can I do about it or what other software are there available that you would recommend?
If it's a problem with my soundcard as you said, how do I change it to full duplex mode?
Thanks,
Qiang Ze
October 12, 2008 @05:10pm
qiang_ze

Your microphone is DYNAMIC type. Dynamic types produce a very very small voltage. They are meant to be used wit mic preamp.
The best you can get is with a pre-amp, I have no doubts about it.
But, as said, you can also get a boost by ENABLE Mic-BOOST in your audio settings. Usually it's in the Mixer console of your software. Get there by right click in your Speaker icon. Get to the RECORDING view, and for the microphone you get ADVANCED and there you may find the mic-BOOST. The detail may vary by PC, or Sound-card.
Voice-computer-jack microphones (such as those in headsets for Skype) are meant for recording voice VERY CLOSE (as a telephone) and you may still need to use the mic-Boost. For singing they are not good because, singing is not like speaking, your voice level varies too much and those mics can only pick up from rather close, and are not too good quality.
As said, try the mic-Boost FIRST, and see if you find that acceptable for what you do.
I don't believe that your mic is specifically designed for a computer mic jack, simply because it is Dynamic type.
If you don't want to use a preamplifier and want a good signal into the PC or laptop, you would have to get an electret mic which uses a battery. Electrect is technically also a condenser mic, or capacitor type, but uses a very small transducer or something similar. All variations of capacitor/condenser mic require a bias voltage.
But for singing, as you want, dynamic is better with the pre-amp.
It seems to me that your mic is for a dedicated Karaoke machine, with a built in pre-amp, because of its plug. But it is still a Dynamic type and can be used with a preamp.
Once you have a preamp, you can get much better mics with XLR connections for not too much. As low as $20.0 or #30.00 without the cable. A very useful pre-amp is the Xenyx 802 by Behringer.
You don't need drivers or software for any of the above things.
But there is software to put effects to voice once it gets to the PC. That you don't need to start with.
Good luck!

Hi Manguiko,
The mic-Boost function is already enabled. However, no matter how much I shout into the dynamic microphone, I do not hear any output from the speakers immediately. Pls advise.
Thanks,
Qiang Ze
October 12, 2008 @05:12pm
Manguiko

Hi Manguiko,
The mic-Boost function is already enabled. However, no matter how much I shout into the dynamic microphone, I do not hear any output from the speakers immediately. Pls advise.
Thanks,
Qiang Ze

I will says that your problem of not hearing your voice and only the music is that you need to enable "What you hear" in the Recoring Mixer screen and make sure that you don't have Mic unselected. Make sure it is Selected so that you can hear your voice EVEN if you are not recording. So check also you Playback settings.
Also, your settings may unknowingly have changed since you recorded using your voice in the recording you used.
I don't believe you have a dupex or not-duplex issue because you have recorded already and because that issue is no longer current to current pc's and laptops.
October 12, 2008 @10:01pm
robertruetz

I would throw out that maybe your software doesn't support duplex operation? It would be silly to have a "karaoke" program that didn't, but you might need a different sound card or interface.
Rob
October 13, 2008 @02:29am
GZsound

Hey GZsound,
I have actually tried using the Windows Recording program that comes with Windows to record the mic input, and there is no problem with recording the sound with Windows recorder. The only problem I am facing with the mic is to get what I say into the mic to come out immediately from the speakers.
When I play the software, the music comes out over the speakers. But what I sing into the microphone does not come out from the speakers immediately. If it's a problem with my software, what can I do about it or what other software are there available that you would recommend?
If it's a problem with my soundcard as you said, how do I change it to full duplex mode?
Thanks,
Qiang Ze

I don't have an answer for you.
Obviously your mic works fine when plugged into the mic input of your sound card...being able to record in the Windows recording program proves that.
So we know it isn't your mic. That leaves the soundcard or the software as the problem. Some soundcards don't allow you to do what you are trying to do.
Sorry.
October 13, 2008 @05:12am
GZsound

I will says that your problem of not hearing your voice and only the music is that you need to enable "What you hear" in the Recoring Mixer screen and make sure that you don't have Mic unselected. Make sure it is Selected so that you can hear your voice EVEN if you are not recording. So check also you Playback settings.
Also, your settings may unknowingly have changed since you recorded using your voice in the recording you used.
I don't believe you have a dupex or not-duplex issue because you have recorded already and because that issue is no longer current to current pc's and laptops.

Just because you can record doesn't mean you can monitor the recording input via the output..does it?
And I didn't realize that all current PC's and laptops included full duplex sound cards. That's good to know.
I don't really have any experience with on board sound cards except to drive my cheap speakers.. I don't record on that machine.
October 13, 2008 @05:15am
GZsound

--SNIP---

You are correct in catching my mistake about the impedence of the mic. He has a low impedence mic, not high impedence as I said. Sorry about that.
However, he has a microphone preamp built into the mic input of the sound card. He also says he has no trouble recording the input from the mic into the Windows recording program.
He does not need to purchase a separate mic preamp.
October 13, 2008 @05:20am
qiang_ze

Hey Manguiko,
I finally solved the problem! Under the speaker properties, the microphone sound level was muted, which was why I could not hear the microphone over the speakers. After unmuting the microphone sound level under the speaker properties, I could hear myself over the speakers loud and clear.
Thanks for your help. Thanks to GZsound as well.
However, when I unplug the microphone from the laptop, my speakers give a loud screeching sound. Only when I mute the microphone level of my speakers does the screeching sound cease. Is this normal?
October 13, 2008 @07:59pm