0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recording Multiple Tracks Simultaneously

mblemberg

Hi everyone,
Is there a realistic way to record something like 6-8 tracks simultaneously while mantaining individual control of the tracks after recording? I will be using a 2.4 GHz Macbook with a 7200rpm internal hard drive and 4GB of RAM to run Logic Studio. Is there some sort of firewire I/O device that would allow me to record 6+ tracks simultaneously? I'm looking to record takes of a full band playing together while maintaining individual control of each instrument for mixing. I will have the ability to mix the drums into 1 or 2 recording tracks if necessary.
Also, if there is such a device, about how much could I expect it to cost?
Once again, I really appreciate any help with this, I've been recording for quite a while but have only recently begun to get serious about it so there's a lot for me to learn yet. Also, sorry if this question has been answered somewhere and I missed it when looking around the forums.
Mike
June 23, 2008 @01:36pm
mellodge

You will need an interface with at least six -eight physical anologue inputs. These would be either TRS or XLR. All software DAWS allow the ability to record mutiple tracks, its just a question of which Hardware interface. Your recording with a mac,so PCI interfaces are out, best option would be firewire based interface.
Presonus do one called a 'firepod', It has 8 XLR inputs and preamps for around $500, There are plenty of other interfaces though.
In order to record, you need to assign a physical input to a virtual track. i.e Input1 to track 1, input2 to track 2 and so on.
Note though recording multiple tracks simultaneously puts a big strain on your system ,especially a laptop. most people record at 44.1khz and no more than 48khz. Hope this helps.;)
June 23, 2008 @04:40pm
Togglehead

Yup...mellodge is right....but consider if youre trying to record a band live...HOW you connect the instruments to the recording is most critical. If you plan on using mics, understand that the level control becomes much weaker with bleeding sound. The guitar amps will pick up some drums, and vice versa.
It will still work, of course, and still most likely sound much better than a stereo recording...
June 23, 2008 @04:51pm
mellodge

Yeah......I've done a live recording once, My friends jaw dropped,He couldn't believe it was a live recording.
There is no difference in actual quality,like togglehead said ,mic spillage limits mixing.
June 23, 2008 @05:29pm
Togglehead

Im with you. Ive done a few live recordings this way too...and usually the result is shocking to the performers and listeners alike.
June 23, 2008 @05:57pm
mblemberg

Yeah I have learned first hand the problems with mic spillage and whatnot, but the idea behind this is just to have recordings of random jams between me and a few buddies. I'm fed up with being pissed off after a sweet jam because we didn't record the magic. I'm sure many of you have felt that feeling and it probably prompted a few of you to get into recording.
June 23, 2008 @07:32pm
Togglehead

Absolutely true. I host a weekly jam gig every monday and we do just that.
good luck!
June 24, 2008 @06:14pm
mblemberg

OK so I've begun looking around a bit for a nice 8 input firewire device. I was looking at the Presonus Firepod a bit. Anyone have any experience with a firepod? Can anyone vouch for any other good firewire input devices? I'm looking to keep it below 600 (or lower if possible)...
Mike
June 25, 2008 @02:32pm
JeffBarnett

The FirePod is now discontinued. PreSonus replaced it with the FireStudio line, which starts around the same price. The FireStudio Project (8 analog in/out + stereo spdif) is normally $499, and the FireStudio (8 analog in/out, stereo spdif, and 16 channels of ADAT lightpipe, 26 channels total) is normally $699.
There are some particularly juicy deals right now, though:
With either the FireStudio or the FireStudio Project, Sweetwater will throw in EZ Drummer Lite software, and a free pair of headphones (Sony MDR 7505's with the FireStudio, Audio Technic ATHM20's with the Project).
You'll also get a free (via mail-in rebate) Inspire1394 (2 in/out firewire interface, normally $150) if you buy either the FireStudio or FireStudio Project:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStudio/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuProj/
June 25, 2008 @04:16pm
ecc83

Since you are using a mac(of which I know jack..) MOTU kit is supposed to be the dogs' danglers for it.
Dave.
June 26, 2008 @06:44am
GZsound

Jeff....
Is EZ Drummer that guy that never shows up late, never drinks, never misses a beat and actually is on stage at the end of each break?
If so... I want one. My drummer is anything but EZ.
June 26, 2008 @06:46am
JeffBarnett

lol.
He plays in time, and he doesn't have an annoying girlfriend, either.
June 26, 2008 @02:15pm
robertruetz

Very low risk of spontaneous combustion too.
Rob
June 26, 2008 @02:33pm
Togglehead

And he doesnt tend to a garden...at ALL.
June 26, 2008 @03:54pm
GZsound

Sign me up...
I used to be an anti Karaoke kind of guy.. but any more, I think carrying the band in a small plastic case makes more sense the older I get....
Gosh... I could actually buy a car instead of a pickup, a van..pull a trailer...etc. Wow, Band In A Box...what a concept.
June 26, 2008 @05:02pm