0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Thin-necked Nylon string guitar...

smileywiley

Hi all,
I play solo fingerstyle guitar (Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, etc.). And I'm real sick of the HUGE neck on my classical. I already have a steel-string, but I much prefer the nylon strings for fingerstyle. The first guitar to catch my eye is the Taylor NS-series, as they have necks that are 1 7/8" at the nut, as apposed to the 2" on a classical. Have any of you guys had experience w/them? There is a guy that makes excellent guitars here locally, but, he only makes thin-line nylons that have to be amplified, and I want to get a good acoustic one before I buy one of those. Also, if any of you know of any other brands/models, that would be great!
Thanks a lot!
Nick
October 31, 2003 @10:47pm
bullistic

hey. i dont think this board gets much traffic.At sweetwater gearfest(i live in fort wayne) i played a rodrigues cutaway model and it was nice.the action was a little high for my taste(comparing it to my lespaul, wich is stupid) but the balance was perfect. no one range or string stuck out. as for the necks, never botherd me but i play upright bass to so nothing is too big happy hunting
November 1, 2003 @01:24am
EphICanIMite

Nick,
Ovation may have something for you in their "Country Artist". It's a nylon stringed acoustic-electric cutaway with 1-7/8" nut width. I've never played one yet, but if you don't mind the composition back of the Ovations it might be worth checking out.
Eric
November 1, 2003 @01:45am
smileywiley

Hey, thanks guys. I'll be sure to check out the ovation the next time I go to a "guitar center". I'm not sure if there is a Ramirez dealer anywhere near here... but I'll be sure to check. And, bullistic... you're probably right about this one not getting much traffic, but hey, I already got 2! Maybe I'll try posting it somewhere else as well...
thanks!
Nick
November 1, 2003 @03:17am
amorosomolto

Hello, I have played an ALVAREZ Nylon/electric/classical. It has a neck like a strat.
Thats the thinnest neck ive seen on a classical. Plays well too
December 21, 2003 @05:43pm
smileywiley

Hey,
I love alvarez. I've played several of them and they are marvelous for the price. I just haven't been able to find one recently to play, and like I said, I really don't want to buy a guitar without playing it first. The newest one I've checked out is the new Martins. I think it's like 000C-16SGTNE and 000C-16SRNE. They're about the same.....one just has Rosewood back/sides, while the other has Mahoghany. They both have Cedar tops and 1 7/8 inch necks. I've played the Taylor NS's too, but I don't really like them as much......just something wierd about 'em.
Thanks!
Nick
December 21, 2003 @08:05pm
smileywiley

Hello all,
Well, I ended up getting a Martin 000C-16SRNE for Christmas. It ROCKS!!! Awesome sound, umplugged or plugged in. I would recommend this to anyone!
Just thought I'd update you'all incase some1 else was looking for one.....
Nick
January 3, 2004 @11:16pm