0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Cheap MIDI keyboard for FL Studio?

sedativechunk

Hey everyone,
I am new to these forums and they really seem to have a good group of people here! :) You can expect to see my stick around these parts.
Anyway, I have been recording music for about 9 monthes now and learned alot. The only physical recording device I have right now is the Line 6 Toneport UX2 hooked up to my PC via USB and I have it integrated with FL 7 and Ableton Live 7 to record guitar and vocals.
I am looking for an affordable MIDI keyboard with preset sounds on it (particularly trance/techno sounds) that will work with my software in the $100/$200 price range, and can connect via USB or possibly through my other recording device. Does anyone have any links or suggestions? I seen a cheap one at Best Buy but IDK if it had good sounds on it. I just want something affordable that has some good preset sounds on it for me to make some good trance music with my guitar recordings.
Again, I would like some links and suggestions for a keyboard/synthesizer. Thanks!
April 8, 2008 @02:37am
Reegs

Hi sedative,
Welcome to the board.
In that price range it might be difficult to find a keyboard with a good set of onboard sounds and MIDI connectivity. What I recommend is a MIDI controller. These boards don't have any onboard sounds but do have the capability to send MIDI data, and often include more control options than keyboards with sounds in the similar price range (sliders, buttons, knobs, key sensitivity). In the sub-$200 range you can pick up an M-audio unit such as the 25-key Axiom or 49-key oxygen. If you buy secondhand many more options open up.
They connect over USB like you wanted and can control software synthesizers. FL7 and Ableton both come with good stock synths that you can easily play with these controllers. You can also expand them to work with VST synths you buy or download. You have a plethora of options and sounds in this department from http://kvraudio.com
Additionally, these VST synths sit inside your PC, so you don't need to worry about connecting audio cables from the keyboard to the Line6 interface to record the parts. Much easier to tweak parts this way.
Hope this helps!
Best,
Reegs
April 8, 2008 @07:10pm
sedativechunk

Thanks for posting the info and links!!
I know that going low in the $100-200 price range, I hate to even spend that, it's only a hobby, but at the same time, I love it and want to have some nice equipment!
I really like that 25-key Axiom because of it's size and it's got the pressure sensitive keys, which is a big plus. I also checked out that site with sounds you can buy. Alot of the sound packages are very pricey but at the expense, I bet the sounds on the are amazing.
Again, thanks for the links and if anyone else has any good suggestions or comments, please fill me in! I have yet to actually try recording MIDI in Ableton, even though I have version 7 I like to stick to recording guitar in it but I should see if it has any good preset sounds in it.
April 9, 2008 @03:09am
SKIPofWELOOSE

look for the controllers listed on ebay or craiglists, to save a lil cash
April 25, 2008 @08:13pm
bopeep

These days I'm really into techno and techno/rock and stuff like that -- try searching for these songs:
Thomas Falke "Revolution On The Dance Floor"
Groove Cutter "My Shooter"
Control One "Just A Little Bit"
Ian Carey "Redlight"
Kevin Weg "Dead Radio"
I don't usually go for techno but these are sort of like a wierd crossover between rock and techno/trance.
Most of them I got (LEGALLY) from this list on itunes -- http://electricnation2010.com/tracks
May 21, 2008 @03:54pm
izzytnm

I own the Yamaha portatone PSR-275. I have recorded multiple songs on it with my M-Audio Uno (Midi to USB driver).
I did a quick google search and saw the keyboard on a website for about 200$. I really recommend this keyboard. It works well and has many good features.
Also, I'm new here (as well).
May 30, 2008 @11:57pm