0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sound system for a restaurant!?

pradhan

I may be completely in the wrong place to ask this kind of question, and if so, forgive me...
I have a small restaurant for which I provide sound via a PC pushing an amplified 5.1 speaker system. This allows me to load hours and hours of mp3 files non-stop, theoretically without maintenance (unless the PC glitches, which is happening too often of late.)
So, here's the question...the restaurant will be doubling in size and I will need perhaps as many as 10 speakers. I am looking for an mp3 based, hard drive system solution that can comfortably drive that many speakers. Hi fidelity is not an issue...the music is specialized "background" music which is simply quietly filling the space, and not be "listened to" per se.
I want to eliminate the computer and have a dedicated sound system. Also, if there a wireless solution...that would be wonderful, but of course, not required.
Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And again, if I am in the wrong forum, please forgive the intrusion...
Pradhan
January 3, 2008 @08:54pm
GZsound

I may be completely in the wrong place to ask this kind of question, and if so, forgive me...
I have a small restaurant for which I provide sound via a PC pushing an amplified 5.1 speaker system. This allows me to load hours and hours of mp3 files non-stop, theoretically without maintenance (unless the PC glitches, which is happening too often of late.)
So, here's the question...the restaurant will be doubling in size and I will need perhaps as many as 10 speakers. I am looking for an mp3 based, hard drive system solution that can comfortably drive that many speakers. Hi fidelity is not an issue...the music is specialized "background" music which is simply quietly filling the space, and not be "listened to" per se.
I want to eliminate the computer and have a dedicated sound system. Also, if there a wireless solution...that would be wonderful, but of course, not required.
Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And again, if I am in the wrong forum, please forgive the intrusion...
Pradhan

You need to check into distribution amplifiers. The input has nothing to do with how you are going to drive multiple speakers.
Check with www.bhproaudio.com or www.bsw.com for distribution amplifiers and permanent install speakers. You can get ceiling mount, wall mount, etc. speakers and a single amp will drive them all.
As to eliminating the computer, you can get a small hard drive recorder/player like a Zoom H2 that will play hours and hours of MP3 files.. You can also get MP3 players for cheap, or even use your cell phone to play the MP3 files.
You might need a small mixer to connect your MP3 player to for control of volume, etc. and your mixer would connect to the distribution amp...
January 4, 2008 @12:55am
pradhan

Thanks...I'll check out those sites. Appreciate the advice much.
Pradhan
January 4, 2008 @06:41pm
JeffBarnett

Check with www.bhproaudio.com or www.bsw.com for distribution amplifiers and permanent install speakers.

Or even better - check out www.sweetwater.com, the folks that sponsor this site!
January 4, 2008 @10:28pm
87PRS

I don't know if you do or don't but, here's a heads-up and some good reading on restaurants and music licensing agreements which is required to play any music...legally.
http://www.restaurant.org/pdfs/legal/musiclicensing.pdf
January 6, 2008 @01:50pm
kope

Any Mp4 player today have 4 Gb memory and you can plug direct in amplifier (slave - pro amplifier with no preamp) . You can buy two Mp4 (one just in case)
January 7, 2008 @02:10am
JeffBarnett

Wireless distributed speaker systems are generally much more expensive than wired 70V systems. Installation costs are generally much lower, though. Especially if you are in an older building which would require wiring through walls and ceilings, possibly encountering masonry or asbestos in the process, wireless speakers could actually be cheaper in the end.
Check out the wireless distribution systems from Listen Technolgies:
http://www.listentech.com/products/nav_wireless.php?PHPSESSID=2bb9b7d3ee9596aefb41e17b7974caa8
January 7, 2008 @03:18pm
GZsound

Or even better - check out www.sweetwater.com, the folks that sponsor this site!

You are correct.. I should have posted your site too.. sorry about that.
I think the problem is that I frequently go to my catalogues for answers regarding equipment that is out of the norm.. and the Sweetwater catalogue I recieve doesn't have distribution amps, telephone recording equipment, etc...so I don't think of Sweetwater as a source.
I apologize.. I get the B & H double phone book sized catalogue and BSW catalogue in addition to the Sweetwater one...and like I said, they have that odd stuff listed..
My bad..
It will never happen again...I promise.
January 9, 2008 @02:01am
JeffBarnett

No problem - we carry most of the same stuff (telephone hybrids, distribution amps, 70V installation speakers), but we really don't want to have a phone book-sized catalog, so we have to choose very carefully what makes it in print.
Only about 10% of the products we carry (typically the most popular ones) are actually listed in the book. We have around 25% listed on our website. Everything else is on an "ask and ye shall receive" basis.
January 9, 2008 @03:09pm
ecc83

If you want to put the work in (my son has just compiled 5hours of it) you can put MP3 onto DVD and use a $20 dvd player to replay. Small FST telly will give you track information.
If the place has CAT5 wiring you can "pinch" pairs 7&8 for a 70V system but dont' tell the IT people!
No offense but I HATE muzak and I am glad to be so far away. Note, why not save the royalty costs and just distribute pink noise?
Dave (AKA Crabby old git!)
January 31, 2008 @09:41am
mossman26

As the others have said, I would recommend a 70 volt system. Take a look at Bogen for your amplifier and speakers.
February 13, 2008 @12:30am