0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

GarageBand like software for Windows

totocaster

Hi everybody! ;)
I was wondering if there is a sofware like garageband on OS X tu just "plug-and-recored"...? I mean I do not need those masive uber-powerful DAWs, I juts want to record a guitar and then appent bass and drum lines easily...
Thanks ;)
October 21, 2007 @07:04pm
poorsod

Reaper is free (unlimited shareware). www.reaper.fm
You'll probably be wanting an interface too though, the Emu 1616(m) is very good value.
October 21, 2007 @07:18pm
totocaster

Reaper is free (unlimited shareware). www.reaper.fm
You'll probably be wanting an interface too though, the Emu 1616(m) is very good value.

Thanks, I'll check it ;)
I have M-Audio FastTrack USB...
October 21, 2007 @07:30pm
poorsod

Good choice, with some mikes, decent amp/cab etc you are all set. If the whole miking-amps thing is not appropriate then you could use Guitar Rig.
October 21, 2007 @08:28pm
Reegs

Reaper is not free. It's shareware, so if you use it for an extended time, I encourage you to purchase it and support its further development.
Also, you might check out Guitar Tracks Pro ($120) or Music Creator ($40) from Cakewalk.
Reegs
October 21, 2007 @08:42pm
totocaster

Also, you might check out Guitar Tracks Pro ($120) or Music Creator ($40) from Cakewalk.

It seems there is no GarageBand-ish software out there for windows :(... Anyways Thanks alot ;)
October 22, 2007 @07:42am
TimOBrien

The guys who wrote GarageBand for Apple originally wrote Sony's ACID many years ago.
(And if you look closely you'll see the same design functionality.)
There is a free 8-track version and a cheap version. Go to the Sony website...
October 22, 2007 @12:06pm
poorsod

As far as you are concerned, Reaper is free, don't let Reegs confuse things.
You can use Reaper, for free, for as long as you like, as much as you like, with full functionality. However if you find yourself using it a lot then you are strongly encouraged to pay the $60 (IIRC) for the full thing - which I'm sure you'll agree is a very low price for a high-quality product.
October 22, 2007 @12:55pm
totocaster

The guys who wrote GarageBand for Apple originally wrote Sony's ACID many years ago.
(And if you look closely you'll see the same design functionality.)
There is a free 8-track version and a cheap version. Go to the Sony website...

hmm... Looks very interesting, Music Studio Edition is cheap too... I'll try trial now :)
October 22, 2007 @03:41pm
bandwidthbandit

Steinberg Sequel...
December 1, 2007 @02:04pm
byrdsworth

Hi try Krystal audio engine ...is very simple to use and is free
and has a great user forum ...
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/
Cheers
Byrds
December 26, 2007 @08:54pm
byrdsworth

December 26, 2007 @08:58pm
the_hedonist

What About M-audio Session?
They based that on Apple Garageband
January 22, 2008 @08:07pm
DavWein

I have a M-Audio O2 on the way. It includes, I understand, Ableton Lite and I can download Enigma from their website.
How do the other software discussed in this thread relate to those two applications in terms of functionality. In particular is M-Audio Session a package I should acquire - there seems to be versions of it on Ebay with a hardware device that looks like it provides a midi to usb connection. Of course I already have a usb to usb connection in the O2.
My initial interest is to be able to use the keyboard to work on my playing/arranging skills. I play piano - want to play against a drum track for pop/jazz songs. I have Finale Songwriter also.
Will there be sufficient startup / tutorial stuff in the box?
June 13, 2008 @03:57pm
BassTheory

I believe FL Studio would work perfect for you. You can download it from the website for free. The only restriction with the demo version, as far as I'm aware, is that you can't save projects. Otherwise, it's completely functional (exporting to .mp3 and everything). And I'm pretty sure it doesn't ever expire. :)
http://www.flstudio.com/
September 16, 2008 @06:12am