0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Equipment racks feeding my GAS

nagal

Okay so I have two 12U racks in my studio. One is just for my MCU Pro (has the arms on top for supporting a mixer) and my computer which fits nicely on a 3U shelf with the radiator for the water cooling mounted to a 3U vented panel. The other is just a normal 12U rack on casters which is currently named the Behringer rack as it holds the V-Amp Pro, Bass V-Amp Pro and ADA8000.
The mixer rack is fine but its the Behringer rack and all the empty space in it. It is mocking me to fill it with stuff!
Empty spaces in rack = bad GAS! :D
October 18, 2007 @08:58pm
tech1

Know the feelin. I have 1 empty space myself, and I'm constantly looking for good 1 U stuff to fill 'er up. Bad, bad GAS.
October 18, 2007 @09:26pm
kope

You should complain at Behringer way they forgot to put something in, or maybe is some new "GAS" technology - check up manual instructions.
October 18, 2007 @09:28pm
itsplayed

What about using blanks in between both V-Amps and the berry?
Perhaps a rack mounted power conditioner/rack light and/or a power strip or two as well. This may alleviate those gas pains!
October 18, 2007 @10:16pm
tech1

Or just get a K250 RMX. Takes up loads 'o rack spaces.
October 18, 2007 @10:21pm
nagal

OMG that K250 RMX is a BEAST!
I already have a ups in the berhringer rack but spacing out the equipment is a good idea! But now that my bass showed up today I think I can keep myself occupied and away from the GAS for awhile
Kope, maybe if I complain they will send me some gear to help fill things up!
October 19, 2007 @12:55am
itsplayed

OMG that K250 RMX is a BEAST!
I already have a ups in the berhringer rack but spacing out the equipment is a good idea! But now that my bass showed up today I think I can keep myself occupied and away from the GAS for awhile
Kope, maybe if I complain they will send me some gear to help fill things up!

You can also get yourself a drawer unit to fill up the space....
http://www.starcase.com/images/6SPACEDRAWER_700.jpg
....and have a happy on that new bass unit!
October 19, 2007 @02:14am
Bops2000

I'd say a good place for a Joe Meek
October 19, 2007 @02:51am
howie15

I have one empty rack space taunting me right now. It's pleading for a Glyph hard drive bay to match my business partner's.
Howie J
October 19, 2007 @03:11am
kope

To be honest, i started to love idea about "computer" Studio with no gear and other things. Most of the time i'm working at home (not in the studio) with equipment in signature and there is no excuse when musically something goes wrong. In studio, when appears something like that, always is somebody ready to blame something about equipment or room. In those cases if man behind a gear doesn't know to play some instrument to show them where is problem, is known to be big big story. I'm just waiting invention of mice which doesn't require treated room (do i wish too much?)
October 19, 2007 @05:52am
87PRS

I have that same empty rack space problem....I took all the gear outta the rack so I wouldn't be tempted and piled it up on a chair, man it looks like I have way more gear when its piled up and not racked, so now out in the shed I have 26 empty spaces I don't have to look at any single space saying fill me, fill me. please! Curb the urge...GAS
October 19, 2007 @09:51am
nagal

Howie, 1U vent filler does work wonders for that one little space but I have 5Us of space to fill!!
itsplayed - I have thought about a drawer. I am thinking I might get like a couple cheap ART mic pres as a front end to my 2 analog channels on the EMU. Yeah not the best but they will serve a purpose and fill the space ;)
87PRS - but I only own one chair right now, where would I sit? ;)
kope - I am just a hobbist at home so I really do need lots of gear to blame for stuff that goes wrong ;)
October 19, 2007 @02:25pm
poorsod

soft synths ftw
that is all
October 19, 2007 @05:52pm
nagal

soft synths ftw
that is all

but digital sounds so flat and lifeless :p :D
October 19, 2007 @06:09pm
kope

but digital sounds so flat and lifeless :p :D

I will do not agree with you like composer (whouh - song creator) but from other side, like guitar player i prefer tubes and i'm ready to kill someone for good old ('60, '70) amplifier. Like sound technician i give a (s...) what's going on until costumer is satisfied.
I fill that explanation for first one should be given. Good arrangement in song is 80% off recording job. When you are dealing with person which knows all about harmonies and lows about arranging some stile in music is a real pleasure to work on the mix's with him. So if you have filling that some song sounds flat i will say 50% of this is to blame arrangement, not only digital sound. Furthermore - you can't use, for same style of music, same arrangement if you go for analog recording or digital recording. There is a big different.
October 19, 2007 @07:43pm