0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Does anyone know anything about ALTO Mixers?

Sprucetanic

I have seen a few of these around, are they any good?
October 5, 2007 @08:40pm
JeffBarnett

This isn't a gear review, so I'm going to move it to another forum...
For what it's worth, I've never used an Alto mixer, so I don't know the answer to your question. I do know I have not been impressed with their compressors.
October 5, 2007 @08:52pm
Sprucetanic

Thanks for the bit of insight on it. I wasn't sure where to post this, but thanks for the help.
October 5, 2007 @09:41pm
Bops2000

Is it a typhoon? eight bus?
If on a budget....
You have Sonar right?, I think all you need is a 4 buss mixer for analog
inputs, just for the ability to assign channels to DAW.
The way we used to run was a 16 channel mixer split 8 in, 8 out for pre mix to
2 stereo ins on the board back to sonar seperate tracks. It's awkward, but worked well.
You can only track simultaenously x amount of tracks on x amount of spaces on
sound card, so if you have 8, or 16 or whatever inputs on that soundcard, that will determine
what you need. For example, if you have six inputs on a sound card, you would want a mixer
that has at least 6 POST FADER outs to daw. Not that you need post, again you only need
preamps to DAW, you can "mix it in the box" all you need is a good signal to the DAW.
Hope that made some sense, again, thats the economical way to do it, as well as a good
test bed to get the routing down.
My dime...
October 5, 2007 @10:26pm
Sprucetanic

Is it a typhoon? eight bus?
If on a budget....
You have Sonar right?, I think all you need is a 4 buss mixer for analog
inputs, just for the ability to assign channels to DAW.
The way we used to run was a 16 channel mixer split 8 in, 8 out for pre mix to
2 stereo ins on the board back to sonar seperate tracks. It's awkward, but worked well.
You can only track simultaenously x amount of tracks on x amount of spaces on
sound card, so if you have 8, or 16 or whatever inputs on that soundcard, that will determine
what you need. For example, if you have six inputs on a sound card, you would want a mixer
that has at least 6 POST FADER outs to daw. Not that you need post, again you only need
preamps to DAW, you can "mix it in the box" all you need is a good signal to the DAW.
Hope that made some sense, again, thats the economical way to do it, as well as a good
test bed to get the routing down.
My dime...

Right on, Yeah i just wanted to see if anyone here knew about these. Personally I have never heard of them just noticed a few up for sale recently.
Thanks.
October 6, 2007 @11:17am
I.T.

Yes, yes, Alto. I owned one. It was bought 4 or about years ago. Pretty cheap. You know I never enjoyed working with it. And it's noisy stuff.
Can't say anything about current production. Maybe it got better!
October 6, 2007 @09:07pm
marob

I use one a few times, and I remember it was noisy as well. There also was a big pop whenever the effects were engaged/disengaged, so you had to remember to turn down the mains before doing anything with the effects. Pretty cheap stuff.
November 7, 2007 @01:03am
Dracuger

oh... ITS ALTO it thought it was LTO lol, i have one at my new job in a studio, and like well, they don't belong is studios. They are Noisy, i'm Using it with a Shure KSM 44 which are known for not having much self noise, and well the recordings are pretty noisy. i can upload a sample if u wanna hear the noise. But if there new stuff are like the ALTO L-8 Mixer they aren't very good at all.
I'm not an expert, this is just my experience with the mixer
November 7, 2007 @08:56am
Bops2000

safe to say - not a wise investment agreed Gang ?
November 7, 2007 @10:24pm
87PRS

agreed...I have never used one, but the reviews ain't good. Buy yourself sumtin' a step up, you'll be happier in the long run...ie Mackie, Souncraft, A&H, Venice, Tapco, there's mo' better out there.
November 8, 2007 @11:09am