0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

MIDIsport Uno works but E-dsp does NOT

USername!?

Hi guys, i seem to be having trouble getting a midi signal from my basic electronic keyboard to Reason.
As a midi input(reads: USB Audio Device) my USB midisport uno works, but when i unplug that
and plug in the old fashioned midi way, from my keyboard out and this time to a midi in on my computer sound card; e-mu 1212m
it doesn't seem to work when i select it as my midi input(reads: E-DSP Midi Port [D800]) setting for my controller, no signal, no flashing green bar
It used to!
But i haven't touched it for months, so i figured maybe it was the keyboard/midi cable/sound card gone bad
So i bought a new cable and borrowed my friend's keyboard and updated my soundcard
and still nothing.
August 29, 2007 @05:44am
itsplayed

And the E-Mu is selected as the default midi device in the windows control panel?
August 29, 2007 @10:50pm
USername!?

you mean
control panel-> sounds and audio devices -> audio-> midi music playback-> default device: E-DSP Midi Port [D800] ?
August 30, 2007 @07:18am
itsplayed

Yes....and when you open the Patchmix for the 1212M, do you see a signal being generated on the channel strip. If the answer is yes to both of these question then the problem lies with a setting within Reason....Which I'm sorry to say, I don't know very well.
August 30, 2007 @08:43am
USername!?

umm
which channel strip?
like what's it called
when u press play on something like windows media player, u see a signal on the stereo "Wave 1/2" strip
and when u press play in Reason, u see a signal on the stereo "AISO OUT 31/32" strip
But when i play something on the keyboard, i don't see a signal anywhere?
Also btw, in Reason, in the control surface and keyboards tab, the "E-DSP Midi Port [D800]" gets a green check, not a red x
August 30, 2007 @10:24am
poorsod

I think he is talking about a MIDI problem, not an audio thing, yes?
Are you sure you are doing the wires right? You should have MIDI OUT on the keyboard -> MIDI IN on the 1010 master card, and if your keyboard supports it, vice versa.
Also, check power to the keyboard, and check that you don't need to set the output using the keyboard settings.
September 1, 2007 @04:37pm
USername!?

It's a basic Casio CTK-481, how would i set the output using the keyboard settings?
This all used to work before, all i needed to do was plug it in, and it would pick it up (yes, midi out on keys, midi in on the soundcard)
My evolution mk-449 just came in, and it's great, i just don't want this midi port to go to waste
i mean it's partially why i bought the soundcard
September 1, 2007 @08:03pm
USername!?

i read the midi section of the casio keyboard's manual and it says
"both the sending machine and the receiving machine must be set to the same channel for the receiving unit to correctly receive and play data.
when sending operation of this keyboard to an external device, channel 1 should selected as the midi send channal."
So i set the keyboard channel to 1, how would i set my computer channel to the same thing?
September 1, 2007 @08:22pm
USername!?

just thinking aloud
is there a geek squad out there but just for music gear?
September 4, 2007 @04:00am
jmail

... As a midi input(reads: USB Audio Device) my USB midisport uno works, but when i unplug that and plug in the old fashioned midi way, from my keyboard out and this time to a midi in on my computer sound card; e-mu 1212m ... it doesn't seem to work when i select it as my midi input(reads: E-DSP Midi Port [D800]) setting for my controller, no signal, no flashing green bar ... It used to!

How do you have midi set-up in Reason (the ports, that is)? (is it a "stand-alone" program, btw?) When you say "It used to!", was the before or after the midisport installation?
September 4, 2007 @11:06pm
itsplayed

i read the midi section of the casio keyboard's manual and it says
"both the sending machine and the receiving machine must be set to the same channel for the receiving unit to correctly receive and play data.
when sending operation of this keyboard to an external device, channel 1 should selected as the midi send channal."
So i set the keyboard channel to 1, how would i set my computer channel to the same thing?

If you have the option, try setting this to "All Midi Inputs".
September 5, 2007 @04:07am
USername!?

If you have the option, try setting this to "All Midi Inputs".

Where would i find this option?
September 7, 2007 @09:17am
USername!?

How do you have midi set-up in Reason (the ports, that is)? (is it a "stand-alone" program, btw?) When you say "It used to!", was the before or after the midisport installation?

The available ports in reason are the E-DSP via my soundcard, the USB audio device via my midisport uno, and a couple midi yoke nt's,
This is what happened, I first started off with my midisport, then i bought my soundcard which had a midiport, so i ditched the usb route(un-installed it), and went with the soundcard, it worked great, i think even better, then i stopped using Reason for a couple months.
i got back into it only to find that it no longer picked up a signal.
So i did all the aforementioned troubleshooting.
September 7, 2007 @09:28am