0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

terratec phase 88 - bluescreens, please help!

Ardek

Hello, I'm new here but I really need some help..
I've read a similiar thread here once but I can't find it anymore.
I own this soundcard (phase 88) for 2 years now and since then
I suffer ocassional bluescreens, whole system shuts down...
The bluescreen indicates ews88wdm.sys as a cause.
My system is a Dell dekstop dimension 5100. I contacted Dell once about
the problem but they suggest simple tips, nothing more.
Terratec never replied my emails.
I really could use some help, it drives me crazy!
Thanks
Dimension 5100
P4 3.00 ghz
1,25 gb memory (ddr2)
80 gb SATA disk
Windows XP home edition
ATI Radeon x1600 graphicscard
PHASE 88 soundcard
June 25, 2007 @01:19pm
itsplayed

Welcome to the forums Ardek....2 years huh? Well I do give you high marks for patience!
Sounds like it's either a driver issue or a hardware conflict issue of some sort.
Have you checked your IRQ allocations for conflict?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?
Have you updated the drivers at any point?...and if so, did you completely remove the old drivers from the system beforehand?
Have you tried moving the card(uninstall completely first) to another PCI slot?....Perform this operation when IRQ sharing is verified.
It is also a good idea to create a system restore point before installing any newly introduced hardware/software, this way you can ensure that old drivers won't become an issue when either updating or repairing.
June 25, 2007 @02:32pm
Ardek

Hi, thanks for your reply!
Yes I've been patient, you know, I can sometimes work for hours in Sonar and sometimes things get really buggy so I took it for granted and did everything I could. The thing is that now I have to record some serious stuff and I can't use this problem anymore hha
I did most things you mentioned, always updated stuff like bios, drivers and moved old ones before doing that. I will look through my IRQ settings again.
On the other thread I read that it could have something to do with SATA disks/ heat problems/ power problems.
Anyway, I'll try the things you suggested again and hopefully things will work out finally:)
June 25, 2007 @03:48pm
itsplayed

Have you had this issue from day 1 or was it a gradual decline?
If it was a gradual decline, have you tried reformatting the drive and reinstalling the OS and apps.?
Maybe it's the lead cable that's at fault....Have you tried replacing it?
June 25, 2007 @04:05pm
Ardek

I had this issue from day 1. Yes I did a full reinstall of everything once.
As I said, it happens very random. Yesterday it happend very often, today only once.
June 25, 2007 @04:07pm
itsplayed

I just realized that this could be a firewire device....is it? If so, have you tried another controller card?
And for the record....a power supply is always suspect. It's alway's good to have a spare laying around in order to eliminate the possibility....and of course, heat's not good either, but you can eliminate that as a source, if your issue occurs soon after startup..
June 25, 2007 @04:22pm
Ardek

June 25, 2007 @04:26pm
itsplayed

Have you tried unistalling, then running a system search for any files(including the one listed as an issue) or folders related to the Terratec and deleting? Then reinstalling the Terratec after a reboot?
June 25, 2007 @04:40pm
itsplayed

In all that time, have you tried installing the card into another computer to see if the issue is still present?
I think Bops runs with a couple of those cards, he may have more insight as to the cause than I would.
June 25, 2007 @04:50pm
Ardek

Yes previously I used it in another PC and it worked fine. I just messed around with my memory and I discovered that probably 1 mem card (512 mb) is dead (the computer won't even boot with only this mem card in it).
But the problem occured before I bought this one, so my guess is that something caused it to break down...
I'm now fooling around with more changes in the memory, see if this helps.
OK - thanks!
June 25, 2007 @06:56pm
itsplayed

Yes previously I used it in another PC and it worked fine. I just messed around with my memory and I discovered that probably 1 mem card (512 mb) is dead (the computer won't even boot with only this mem card in it).
But the problem occured before I bought this one, so my guess is that something caused it to break down...
I'm now fooling around with more changes in the memory, see if this helps.
OK - thanks!

Your welcome Ardek, given the fact that it worked in another system at least eliminates the Terratec as being the source of the issue.
Dell systems are very picky when it comes to ram. Crucial memory has always been my favorite choice when upgrading ram on Dells. However, when performing a ram upgrade on a newer system that supports dual channel memory.... always buy in matched sets and discard/omit any third party or odd stick of ram.
June 26, 2007 @05:47am
Ardek

Ok, that's a good thing to know.
I'm now running on a single stick (512 mb) but it happened again 10 minutes ago, so something else is causing the crash I guess...
I originally ordered the system with only 256 mb DDR2 ram (400 mhz) with the intention to upgrade it on short notice and that's what I did. I bougt two sticks of 512 mb ram (533 mhz) after a month.
You mentioned someone who knows more about it? Who is he and can I contact him in any way?
Thanks
June 26, 2007 @09:10am
itsplayed

I originally ordered the system with only 256 mb DDR2 ram (400 mhz) with the intention to upgrade it on short notice and that's what I did. I bougt two sticks of 512 mb ram (533 mhz) after a month.

Did you buy this ram from Dell? If not, what is the make/model of the ram you purchased? Have you made sure that the single stick is in Dimm slot 1?
Bops does know about the Terratecs, but we have eliminated it as being the cause to your issue. Since you have also tried a complete reformat/reinstall with the same results, then you can also eliminate driver version conflict as the cause, as well as resource conflict(IRQs), since you have checked for this. What you have left, is an issue with computer hardware stability and the most common suspects here would be the ram and power supply.
June 26, 2007 @10:21am
Ardek

OK.. The single one I have in there is 'corsair' and yes it is in DIMM1.
I did not purchase it @ dell but at MyCom.
June 26, 2007 @10:50am
itsplayed

OK.. The single one I have in there is 'corsair' and yes it is in DIMM1.
I did not purchase it @ dell but at MyCom.

Corsair makes a specific ram for the Dell. Anything other than that specific ram can cause issues and as I have said, Dells are very picky as to what ram it will run with, without issue.
Is this the ram that you purchased?
http://www.corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=53198
Do you still have the original stick that came with the system? If so, have you tried using only that ram to see if the system is more stable?
June 26, 2007 @11:01am