0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What's the difference between Cubase SX3 and LE?

monnie101

From my understanding the light edition (LE), is only available with products and you cannot purchase it alone? I use Cubase SX3 and I just bought the Emu 1616 a few weeks ago and it came with a bunch of LE's. So I'm just curious as to what the difference is.
And I also went to the website and they don't sell SX anymore, now they have SE version? $200
June 14, 2007 @12:37am
dcwave

LE is a very scaled down version of SX1
June 14, 2007 @12:52am
TimOBrien

June 14, 2007 @01:21am
itsplayed

The nice thing about the bundled LE versions of the software that came with your E-mu card, is that if you'd like to get the full blown version of any of the software, you can download it at a discounted price.
Current versions of Cubase are discontinued and no longer supported (C4 excepted)....if you like Cubase wait for the next generation of software from them.
June 14, 2007 @03:24am
tech1

The SE that you saw is similar to SE, in that it's based on the version 1 architecture and mix engine, but it has loads more features than LE. Still not as many as even SX 1, but it's a way to get more than LE without going all the way up to 4.
June 14, 2007 @12:19pm
poorsod

Yeah, the current version of Cubase is 4. Note that they've ditched the SX altogether. There's Cubase 4 and the cut-down Cubase Studio 4. This is because C4 is seen as the start of a new 'era' in Cubase if you will.
The counting on Cubase is confusing. The first version was MIDI-only for the Atari, called simply Cubase 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 etc.
Then it was Cubase Audio on the Mac and Cubase for Windows on PC. AFAIK Cubase for Windows was still MIDI-only, while Audio, well, wasn't.
Soon after that came Cubase VST in various forms. This was when Steinberg released their titular VST technology which simplified and tied together inputs, outputs, processors, recording, and of course VST plugins which remain the industry-standard software processor format.
Cubase VST reached 5.0 and then development ceased. It was beginning to get bloated and needed a new interface, so Cubase SX came out in 2001. This was a big leap in many ways, including the conicidental Nuendo release, whose mix engine it was based upon. Cubase SX counted from 1 to 3 while LE remained based on SX1.
Now Cubase 4 (along with VST version 3.0) is out they're ditching the SX business altogether. What's confusing is that version families have gone from Cubase, to Cubase VST, to Cubase SX, and now back to just Cubase. Stupid Cubase.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubase
June 14, 2007 @12:33pm
monnie101

Yes! Exactly, I've been so confused because years ago I was using a VST version and tried trials of others. So since I've been using SX I've been a bit confused about the versions and a bit left in the dark because I took a long break from music. I started out using Pro Tools LE which I remember liking, then Gigastudios software (which I bought from Sweetwater hehe).
I remember gigling a bit when I found out people who had old Atari or Amiga computers were using a Cubase 1 version on them. Even Moby in Future Music had one setup. He said he uses it. That was about 6 or 7 years ago.
Right now it's doing okay for me but I'll check out the upgrade costs sometime and see what I can do.
June 14, 2007 @10:02pm