0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Multitrack record in adobe audition

Sound advice

I was just wondering if it is possible to record 2 separate live tracks at once using 2 separate sound cards in adobe audition. or even if i could record two separate tracks, one with my line-in and one with my mic inputs on one single sound card. thx.
May 31, 2007 @06:01am
robertruetz

What version of Adobe Audition are you using? Also, what are you trying to record (mic, guitar, keyboard, MIDI)? You'll probably need an interface or soundcard with two separate inputs.
I'm guessing you're asking whether or not you can run two consumer soundcards (PCI Soundblasters or something like that), I'm not sure if that will work. You're better off starting with a good USB or Firewire interface.
Le_Singe
May 31, 2007 @01:39pm
Sound advice

ya exactly i was wondering about 2 pci cards. well.. one is onboard. I was wanting to put a mic and a guitar through. is it possible to have one track recording from my mic input and one track recording from my line in on one single soundcard? my Audition version is 1.5. thx.
May 31, 2007 @04:16pm
poorsod

Why do you need two sound cards to start with?
What have you got at the moment?
May 31, 2007 @04:35pm
Sound advice

well i don't really need two soundcards, I just heard that using two soundcards might let me record two separate channels live. so that's why i have two, one is onboard and one is an old soundblaster. the difficulty i have is in trying to tell adobe audition what i'm trying to do. i can't think of where the option would be to notify the program which track i want to record from which source. I am not really sure if it is possible at all.
May 31, 2007 @05:03pm
poorsod

Sorry to break this to you. Neither of them are any good for recording. You'll get pathetic quality, especially on the mic input.
And you should have disabled the onboard one in the BIOS when you installed the soundblaster.
And no, you can't use them both at once. Definitely not with ASIO drivers; with WDM you can but you need to sync them with a clock master-slave array between the two (SMPTE or MTC or something)
I recommend getting a pro-quality audio interface with multiple I/O, and just using that.
May 31, 2007 @05:08pm
AndyH

Except when using ASIO drivers, it is generally easy to use two separate soundcards at the same time. However, they will not stay in synch with each other unless they are both connected to one clock. That can be done via the S/PDIF connections on many cards, one becomes the master, the other the slave. Cards such as Soundblasters and MB built-ins may not have the driver options to do this, however. I haven't looked into the possibility, so I can't say.
There is a place, either in multi-track device options or track properties, to tell Audition what source device to use for each track. Since I don't use it myself, I can't tell you what to do, but rest assured that it is a necessary step for everyone who does multi-track recording with the program.
May 31, 2007 @08:30pm
poorsod

Sound Blasters I can vouch for as not having digital I/O. The onboard is probably an AC97, which also can't transmit digital or MIDI timecode.
Also, it's important to note that you should always be using ASIO whenever possible. Low latency and overall stability make them the driver of choice for electronic musicians.
I read somewhere that it's possible to run more than one ASIO if they're exactly the same card. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I think there are also some cards that have multiple PCIs for DSP, I/O and that, which master/slave together through one ASIO, even though each would run standalone. That wasn't at all clear.
May 31, 2007 @09:06pm
Sound advice

ya, I realize the quality will be bad if i use my line in and my mic inputs but it's ok for what i want to do. I found the option to select which device a given track records from but and i only have one option and that's Via audio and in my device manager it says my newly installed soundcard is lacking ressources and i need to deactivate something which like you said poorsod must be deactivating my old soundcard in my bios. So I have officially lost hope for record from two separate soundblasters. Do you think there's still a possibility to record from my line in and my mic inputs simultaneously? It looks to me like the only way to select these is in windows recording mixer and so i can't have individual settings for individual tracks. Is that right?
May 31, 2007 @09:22pm
AndyH

ASIO drivers have definite advantages in various situations but they are not different or superior in results outside of those situations.
Various manufacturers have written their drivers to handle multiple soundcards as one. Some of the M-Audio Delta series are that way. For instance, four Audiophile 2496 cards can be synced together via S/PDIF to provide eight analogue inputs -- if you have four PCI slots available. They are unlikely to work together with any other manufacture's card, however, unless you are not using the ASIO drivers.
There is a general driver, called ASIO4all, or something similar, that can handle more than one soundcard simultaneously, or so I've read.
June 1, 2007 @03:11am
Sound advice

do you think I could use this driver for my situation? i have an onboard card, not sure if it is wdm but my other pci one is.
June 1, 2007 @04:46am
AndyH

No ASIO drivers work in Audition prior to version 2. Anyway, ASIO is irrelevant for your proposed task. You want to select both soundcards for recording in multi-track. You can use whatever drivers work in Audition (for sure it won't be ASIO for version 1.5).
First of all, can you select both cards, one at a time? In single waveform view, only one device at a time can be selected. However, this is an easy place to test. Select one and record something, anything, as a test.
Now select the other and record something. If both work, then you can select both at the same time in multi-track. If you can't use both of them here (one at a time), you aren't going to get any further.
Now that you know both are available to the program, you just have to figure out how to assign the device for each individual track in multi-track view. I'm sure it is easy, tens of thousands of people do it every day. If you can't figure it out from the program help, and no one here is willing to tell you how they record in multi-track in Audition, go to the Adobe forum or the Audiomaster's forum. Both of them specialize in Audition and CoolEdit.
Don't go through this whole harangue again. Just ask for simple instructions on selecting the device for each track. Don't muddy up the waters by mentioning two different soundcards. The process will be exactly the same for your two cards as it will be for the individual inputs of any multi-channel card.
13@162.AFukav9g779.0@.1de98f7a">http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@162.AFukav9g779.0@.1de98f7a
http://www.audiomastersforum.net/
June 1, 2007 @06:28am
poorsod

I'd be surprised if the sound blaster was working properly at this stage, since you haven't disabled the onboard one.
Do this in the BIOS. Hold DEL (or sometimes F2) when the computer boots up and you'll see a screen with various menus and options. Look through the menus for one that says something like "onboard sound enabled" or one that mentions Realtek AC97. Disable the onboard sound.
If those keys don't work, pay attention while the computer goes through those black-and-white screens when it boots up. You'll see something that says "hold [key] to access SETUP".
You should have done this all before you installed the Sound Blaster. I suggest uninstalling that in the Device Manager first. To get there, right-click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager. While you're there, uninstall the onboard one too. Then do the above and reinstall the sound blaster.
June 1, 2007 @07:26am
AndyH

How could disabling the built-in soundcard have any possible relationship to accomplishing what he wants to do?
June 1, 2007 @09:48am
poorsod

Onboard sound has a history of conflicting with soundcards added later. I think he mentioned that he was having problems with the sound blaster. Hence the disabling stuff.
June 1, 2007 @09:52am