0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 2 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

How to remove people talking in background

meleemaster74

Hello,
I am new to this forum and need a little help. I filmed a video in which someone is talking however it was in a public area so that there is A LOT of background noise(other ppl talking) which virtually drowns out the speaker. I was wondering if anyone knows a program to single out one specific voice and mute it. (Or at least lower it :)
Thanks-
meleemaster74
May 2, 2007 @11:58pm
sabianq

May 3, 2007 @01:23am
tech1

Sorry, meleemaster74. The cake analogy is the best. You can't removed the eggs (vocals) from a cake when all the ingredients (background noise, other voices, etc.) have alreay been mixed togather into 1 batter (the 1 file you're hearing).
BTW, sabianq, nice cross-references. I'm saving this in notepad. :)
May 3, 2007 @01:54pm
tech1

BTW, welcome to Audioforums!
May 3, 2007 @01:55pm
sabianq

Hey Melee, Welcome to audioforums,
I'm sorry if my post seemed abrupt, but this particular issue has been rehashed time and time again.
we get people that want to remove vocals from a "flattened" two channel "stereo" recording so they can make Karaoke music.
but the question you raised is exactly the same.
as it stands right now, computers are not powerful enough to sort out different conglomerations of frequencies.
in theory, you can attenuate the sounds you want by placing a spectral filter on them but the way the audio is set up in the file, a clap and spoken word within the same frequency range actually share the same wave form making it impossible to remove one or the other without destroying that particular slice of data.
as computers become vastly more powerful, they in theory will be able to remove the unwanted data while filling in the wanted data with a copy of the rebuilt desirable data the same way your brain can discern and understand one talking in a crowd of people.
i give it 15 years.
May 3, 2007 @04:23pm
tech1

I give it 20, but hey, at the rate technology's increasing, who know, it could be 5. Anyway, if you have an exact copy of the original vocal you want to remove, you can line it up sample-to-sample and then reverse the polarity. This will effectively cancel the unwanted voice from the mixed file. In theory, anyway...
May 3, 2007 @07:16pm
meleemaster74

Ok, Thanks everyone. I did not think there was a way to seperate out a specifiic voice but you cannot be sure until you ask. I gonna go try and fiddle around with the volume now and see if I can at least make it discernable. :)
May 3, 2007 @07:49pm